What's the consensus on optical tables?

Starting point for beginners questions.
pluto

Re: What's the consensus on optical tables?

Post by pluto »

Wackhaus wrote:Hi pluto whats up :)
Where do you live/what do you consider affordable
Hey Wackhaus, welcome to the forums :)

I'd put it more accurately as the most bang for your buck. I would spend maybe a couple hundred on a DIY solution, but wouldn't pass up a nice table for a bit more. I would prefer that, as I imagine designing and building a table could turn out to be a hobby killer.

I'm wondering if vibration isolation necessarily has to be heavy, complicated and expensive. I'll probably start on the garage floor or a granite slab on top of some sandbags.

For now I think I should focus on actually producing a hologram :D
Wackhaus

Post by Wackhaus »

Hiya! 8-)
You can totally find a vibration isolation table for a few hundred. Im sure sandbags on the floor will work too though :lol:
Im just starting out, im using a sandbox. But as soon as im done with my practice plates im getting a hene, and most likely get a table since i live in an apartment.
pocket full of holograms
pluto

Post by pluto »

Wackhaus wrote:Hiya! 8-)
You can totally find a vibration isolation table for a few hundred. Im sure sandbags on the floor will work too though :lol:
Im just starting out, im using a sandbox. But as soon as im done with my practice plates im getting a hene, and most likely get a table since i live in an apartment.
What kind of optical mounts do you use? Oddly enough that's one of the most confusing parts to me right now. I see many on eBay, but the optic in the mount is either wrong for my application, or the hole is empty and I have no idea how the optics are inserted. The ones I like the best (and make the most sense to me) so far have the four screws that hold the optic, but they're like $400+ new (each) and I'm having trouble finding them on eBay.

This is mostly for interferometry, though. I plan to start doing DCGs with only a single beam expander, maybe a mirror to adjust the angle of incidence on the glass plate. So much to go wrong... I just hope for some initial success, no matter how small.

Have you produced any holograms yet? I'd love to see them.
Wackhaus

Post by Wackhaus »

No i dont use optical mounts yet im still gathering up pieces to get that started. Right now i have a breadboard my other laser friend gave me. And now im in the process of looking for a laser or two (because, im like you, i gotta have 2!) and i stalk vibration isolation tables on ebay like its my job, but the shipping on them is rediculous because they weigh like 600lbs, so im starting to stalk the closeout/surplus business listings, and there are a LOT of science/tech companies in jersey, so ill def be able to find one and pick it up on a truck.
I didnt even begin to look at optics yet, but if theres anything the dr laser taught me is "what, youre gonna spend money on that? Thats ridiculous" *sticks a piece of gum on it or something* hed probably kill me if i spent actual money on anything :lol: but like, some thing like the spacial filter, yeah, thats totally gonna want a mount,
So like, do this, go order a catalog from an optics place, like edmund optics or something, and just read that thing cover to cover. That way at least you know what things look like and might be for.
Second, if youre gonna buy stuff off of ebay, youre gonna buy it new for retail? Cmon boyichka, listen im a jewish girl from ny, we dont pay retail, i cant tell YOU how to shop, but if i was gonna buy something new id purchase it from a respectable dealer and open an account and establish a relationship. Call on the phone and talk to a person and place an order.
Thirdly, OMG yeah you can totally see my holograms theyre sooooooooo awesome omg
pocket full of holograms
Wackhaus

Post by Wackhaus »

And btw, this is my hologram box. Please note all the crap in it that i dont ever take out of the box ever, cause you know, meh. Also i dont have a real table in my house that isnt a broken videogame, so its on a pinball table, and im just using the diode laser stuck in a cup of sand with a clothespin. And dude, whatever, its working like a charm.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 4612 times
pocket full of holograms
Din

Post by Din »

To both of you beginners, you seem to be having conniptions over stability. Us older holographers from the 70's and 80's didn't have a lot of resources such as forums and EBay, so we made do with whatever we could lay our hands on. A lot of us turned dumpster driving into an art form! So, yes, I agree with Jason (Dr Laser), use a piece of gum, or plasticine or glue or hot glue (Once described to me as "The holographer's friend").

Perhaps a bit of background. When you record a hologram, there are places (actually twisty, bendy lines) that have a lot of light, and parts that have no light, and parts between 1 and 0. These "iso-lines" all twist, bend and form circles. Now, when you make a hologram, you're taking a picture, a photograph, of those twisty and bendy lines. Just like taking any photograph, if your subject moves during the exposure, the picture will blur. But, in this case, the efficiency of the hologram, the brightness (they're not the same thing, but that's for another day), is dependant on the sharpness of theses twisty lines. If these lines blur, the hologram will lose brightness, quite fast actually; a 5% drop in sharpness could reduce the brightness by 50% or more. So, you need to keep those lines - and hence, the whole recording system - from moving. But, only during the time of the exposure.

However, clearly, the more complicated the system, the more likely that different parts of the system will move relative to each other. So, the more complicated the system, the more you need to be careful of stability over the entire system. Also, for a given system, the longer the exposure time,the more stable it needs to be.

However, in the case of a single beam Denisyuk, the "system" has only two components: the plate and the object. Well, there's the mirror, if you're diverting the beam from the laser, and the expanding lens, but those are all before the laser beam "splits" (at the plate). So, all you have to do is to ensure that there is no relative motion between plate and object. The two can dance the fandango on your table, so long as they do it together! One way to ensure this is to create a "plateholder" with a leg on it, like an "L". The vertical, long arm of the "L" can be three pieces of metal, shaped like a "U", grooved to accept the plate, and the short horizontal base can be screwed/glued or attached any way, so long as there's no relative motion. The object is then glued or bubble-gummed, onto the short horizontal piece. Bob brought this up also. Another way is to hie down to your local metal shop and get a sheet of metal, roughly 4 ft x 4 ft and about an inch thick. These are pretty inexpensive, especially if they're scrap. Then place said metal "table" on old carpeting, maybe two, three layers thick.

Using this same "table", you can make a simple mirror holder by getting a strip of metal, maybe two, three inches wide and about 3 inches tall. and also shaped like an "L". Glue the mirror on top of the strip, and glue the base of the "L" onto the metal "table". If you want a lens holder, maybe the metal shop owner can drill a hole in the upper arm of the "L", about the size of the lens.

For what it's worth, here's our plateholder. It's sideways, relative to my above description;that is, "U" is sideways.
plateholder.jpg
plateholder.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 4606 times
lobaz

Post by lobaz »

Try to get a copy of "Holography Handbook: Making Holograms the Easy Way" by Fred Unterseher and others. There are lots of tips how to build your lab with plastic tubes, hot glue and other easy-to-work-with materials.
hansholo

Post by hansholo »

Of course one can record holograms directly on the floor. We have done that since the early 1970s. The most recent recordings are the OptoClones (Denisyuk color holograms) are the Faberge Eggs recorded at the basement floor of the Faberge Museum building in St Petersburg, Russia. Don't mix vibrations with air turbulence. You need to protect the setup from air turbulence during the recording.
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (43.78 KiB) Viewed 4578 times

There was a question about using more that one laser to record a hologram. All color holograms are recorded with three RGB lasers. The laser beams are combined and go through the same spatial filter to record the Denisyuk type color hologram.
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
lobaz

Post by lobaz »

Could you reveal typical exposure times for the Faberge holograms, Hans?
By the way, welcome to the forum. I really love your posts about holographic history on facebook forum. Too bad they get completely lost after just a few months.
pluto

Post by pluto »

Wackhaus,

You never did post any pictures of your holograms. I'd be interested to see them!