holograms with frequency doubled yag II?

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
skynnz

Post by skynnz »

Sorry, I did not mention what kind of plate, it is the VRP-M...please someone help! Thank you!
Justin W

Post by Justin W »

It's a possibility, but the likelihood of said laser operating in multiple longitudinal modes is high.
Multimode operation essentially guarantees that you will have mode hops during your exposure; you will get a hologram, but it will probably be covered in stripes known as "sliced bread".

Providing some specs of the laser in question will help members of this forum determine the suitability of your particular laser for holography.

Take heart - even if your laser is a garden-variety multimode greenie, it can still be a valuable learning tool while you determine proper exposure times and beam ratios. I can remember getting my first images while working with a multimode 532nm DPSS module... I learned a lot about the process of setting up and making exposures despite the sliced bread aberration.

Some laser is better than no laser at all.
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

Re mode hopping, usually this is taken to mean that the laser is more or less randomly jumping between two or more wavelengths. With multimode, the laser is lasing at multiple wavelengths simultaneously, similar to the way a Tuvan throat singer produces different pitches at the same time. Both are bad for holograms, but at least with infrequent mode hopping you can hope to make a hologram between jumps.