Holographic billboards !!

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
kaido

Post by kaido »

well .. this is somehow advanced and concerning economy ....
what are the main problems that stand against making holographic billboards ?
to enhance advertising media and so .......
optimistic :dance: huh ? but this is not for fun .. really !
i'm trying to study this both practicaly and economicaly ..
BobH

Post by BobH »

Size: Only one company, Zebra Imaging, can tile holograms together to make one big enough.

Lighting: The sun is a moving light source that distorts holographic images in all but one position. Single source electric lights are not bright enough to cover a very large area well, if the source is small enough to make the holographic image look good.

Color: Holographic images are not color stable in the sun, and advertisers are very serious about the colors of things in their media.

Reason: What's the point of a holographic sign when nobody cares about holographic imagery anyway?

Cost: To create, install and maintain.

Distraction: Too much novelty on a billboard causes a hazard for drivers on the road as other drivers' attention is distracted from the road.
kaido

Post by kaido »

Good points to research , thanks !
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

May I express my opinions?

I think hologaphic billboards will be something we will be seeing in the future.

Color is not a problem, make the hologam white (people are used to looking at black and white images) or make the hologram rainbow.

Have a light that comes on at night that makes the hologram viewable. Have another light during overcast days and when the sun is not in position such that a regular ink printed image is viewable when the sun or man made evening light is not available.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Gee, why are Bob and I always the nay-sayers? Another optical engineering problem to worry about in holographic billboards is viewing angle. Billboards are approached from some angle or another, and there is always a sweet spot to best contemplate the hologram. Pedestrians and drivers may only be in the viewing zone for a brief instant, if ever at all.

Speaking of Zebra, there is a very clever guy working there, fella name of Newswanger, first name of Craig, who once told me that his inspiration for coming up with his “DOTZ!” machine (his registered trademark word for his particular brand of dot-matrix holography machine) was to make billboards.

Because of the way that the dot-matrix type of holographic image works, (small diffraction gratings aimed in a variety of directions to generate a pattern, take a look at some packaging with a magnifying glass and a laser beam to see what I am talking about) there is always an image somewhere. The image will change depending on the viewer’s movement or the light source’s. Scaling something like this up…

This is a good project in holographic optical engineering for the student or any practitioner, to see what you know about the holographic process, and hopefully some of our hints will help, so give it a try on paper, but then when you add up the time and materials don’t be surprised when you get “sticker shock!”
BobH

Post by BobH »

JohnFP wrote:Have a light that comes on at night that makes the hologram viewable. Have another light during overcast days and when the sun is not in position such that a regular ink printed image is viewable when the sun or man made evening light is not available.

I'd recommend trying this at home with any hologram in your collection. Set it up in the sun, with alternative lights as suggested, and see what it all looks like. The sun is a hideously bad light source for pictorial holograms. Dot matrix hologram images might work, but they've been out there for what, 20 years now? Where's a billboard? Where's any large hologram out in the sun, especially one lit day and night, that shows a picture and not just spectral light shapes?
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Well you na-sayers. You surely would need to be a little inovative. It's called thinking about future technologies and how to apply them. Obviously the correct technique and technology has not been developed yet or they would be out there. :whistle:

For overcast days the ink print I spoke of could become realized by the use of rotating slices. They have billboard now that do that, just take a trip down to south of the border (north/south carolina). When the photo cell does not recieve direct full sunlight it triggers a relay the hides the black background and rotates the ink image into place. So at that point it is a regular billboard.

Full lighting all night would not be a problem. So that's taken care of.

Now for the sunlight. Personally, I hear all the time that sunlight is a poor light source for holograms. But I simply do not agree. All my holograms look fantastic using the sunlight as a light source. Now we do have the issue of the sun moving and the viewer moving, but a stereogram could take care of that to some degree. Other inovative techniques could be used also.

So, finally, as a "workable" option for now. Have a rotating slice billboard with a nice ink image during the day (use bottom lighting for you hologram thus it will not be visible during the day from the overhead sunlight). Then have the billboard rotate the ink image with an all black background and bottom light the hologram at night.

Many options. A new idea has to be thought about, talked about, brainstormed, and modified before it can be realized. :wink:
favalora

Post by favalora »

Hi -

Perhaps the first step towards this is to use the hologram in a multiplex mode, as to create a succession of (quite different) 2-D images that become visible from various points of view. (For example, a "Burma Shave" sort of thing.) I question the ability to create images of sufficient depth such that it's apparent from the point of view of a distant moving car.

g
MfA

Post by MfA »

An analog recorded hologram perhaps. A lenticular can provide sufficient depth, unfortunately normal lenses can't provide good viewing angles ... embossed HOE lenticular lens arrays would be ideal, best of both worlds.
MfA

Post by MfA »

PS. wow old idea I see, presented at Lake Forest ISDH in 1994 ... not quite old enough though, patent expires in 2014.