First DCG, Please, Help me find the problem.

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

Kiffdino wrote:well checked my heating pad and it goes up to 40°C
John you must have some really powerful ones if yours goes up to 60°C
also i have use for heating iso a crockpot or a corning stirrer/hotplate (Dinesh uses this type with a glass dish and sheet of glass as a cover)
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Solarenemy, you rmath is a little off.

Kiffdino, 40C is plenty hot enough (104F). Higher temps are not uncommon. Take a peak on the internet. I have the one with three manual settings (not electronic or digital). I like these because I can set it to three differnt temps. I forgot what they equate to but I have notes in my lab book. Depending on what I want (and the ambient temp of my lab which is not greatly controlled) I can warm the fixer and first bath. Then a little hotter for the second and third alco bath. Then hotter for the last bath.
I also recommend never using kitchen ware for lab trays. Photo trays are cheap. Forget the tupperware.
Bob do they have sealable lab trays? I mark with a sharpie on all items (FOR LAB USE ONLY). That way I know it stays in the lab.
My lab is in my basemet at the moment.
its not for the faint at heart!
So you suggest this to a person just starting DCG?
also we use so little amount of dichromate, as long as you dont eat the Jello and wash your hands ther is no problem let be real here, a gram or so of dichromate vers a hill of Dichromate
Are you kidding? Can I quote you so if I have CRVI problems I can blame it on your expert advice?
Solarenemy

Post by Solarenemy »

Maybe I am missing something. Last I checked Dichromate at levels of even a few PPM is very hazardous to both humans and the environment. That is one reason I am trying to get away from the Dichromate bleach I use for my PFG-01 shots. It's a know carcinogen and the dust even in small amounts can be very dangerous if inhaled. From what i saw on the MSDS this stuff is very nasty in all aspects.

Oh and in regards to my math, sorry I looked at the wrong column on my cheat sheet. 100f would be about 38c, sorry.
Kiffdino

Post by Kiffdino »

Well theres no alternative in DCG. But once its bound in solution i think i can handle it.
When measuring the powder i use a mask.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

You didn't miss anything. You want to take every single solitary precation you can when handling AmDi. It's truely nasty stuff and should be treated that way.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Also, help our planet. Since you are not using fixer, see if you can get some Sodium Metabisulfite. It neutralizes the CRVI to CRIII which is much, much safer. You just dilute your unused AmDI emulison with a little more water, then add SM to it and you will see it change colors to blue. It can then be disposed of safely. A little SM in a solution form (in water) can be used to clean contaminated items, sufaces , etc. also.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I have posted this before but I will tell the story again...

In a very large guitar factory in the late 70s they were using acetate for the plastic border that goes around the edges of the guitar body. They had realized that the best glue was to take the scraps of acetate and dissolve them in acetone. On the production floor they had a 5 gallon kettle of acetone that they would drop scraps into and take glue from. It was electrically heated. One day the fire marshal was visiting and walked by the glue pot. He asked what it was and the production manager told him it was acetone. The fire inspector immediately walked out the door with out saying a word. Confused the shop went back to work. A couple of minutes later the phone rang. The fire inspector had walked to the nearest pay phone and called to tell them that the shop was to immediately shut down until the glue pot was remedied. I met the production manager about 10 years later and he had lamented that they never found a glue that worked as well.

Liquids that burn clear or blue are very dangerous because you don't even know they are on fire until it is too late. I remember a story of an alcohol fire where a person was running into a hallway screaming. Nobody knew what to do because they could not tell he was on fire. Finally someone realized what was going on and rolled him on the ground to put out the fire.
Kiffdino

Post by Kiffdino »

John i just ordered two kg of that Sodium Metabisulfite.
gonna paint my walls with it :D

Colin thats a nice story. As I said i dont trust my microwave. Going to try the heating pad next time.
Solarenemy

Post by Solarenemy »

I am actually moving to an EDTA bleach so I don't have to use the Dichromate myself. I am eventually going to jump in to DCG but for now the lasers cost are holding me back.
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

Kiffdino wrote:Well theres no alternative in DCG. But once its bound in solution i think i can handle it.
When measuring the powder i use a mask.
I use a mask to when measuring, I just think some of the enviromentalist blow things way out of proportion, ther are many home items thats are much more dangerous that a few grams of chromate. just use comonsence