First DCG, Please, Help me find the problem.

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

yes john , you are very correct in the approach to use caution no matter which way you heat ALCH. all i can say ive been doing DCG holograms sucessfuly for years this way with no problems. i dont like the idea of having hot alch sitting on somthing hot for a long while ,releasing its toxic fumes into my lab. by heating the alch in the microwave, you will get (almost) instant heated bath to do your final processing and when its finished snap the lid back on ,and its ready to use for the next time you need it. very little wasted into the air so it lasts a very long time this way.As i'Ve stated befor , i want to be able to go down in the lab turn on my laser (warm up for 5 mins.) shoot a sucessful hologram and finish it in a shortest period of time...
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

i dont like the idea of having hot alch sitting on somthing hot for a long while ,releasing its toxic fumes into my lab.
You must have missed the part where I suggested to use a food container with an air tight lid.
http://www.sketchys.com/holograms3d/The ... essing.JPG
The good part about his method is you can have differt (increasingly hot) temps for each bath.
i want to be able to go down in the lab turn on my laser (warm up for 5 mins.) shoot a sucessful hologram and finish it in a shortest period of time...
Cool, I understand. Premade plates ;-)

All I can say Dave is you are one of the carefull ones that pays attention to detail (not overheating your alcohol). I just try to suggest the safest way to a new poster that I know work just as well also.
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

JohnFP wrote:
i dont like the idea of having hot alch sitting on somthing hot for a long while ,releasing its toxic fumes into my lab.
You must have missed the part where I suggested to use a food container with an air tight lid.
http://www.sketchys.com/holograms3d/The ... essing.JPG
The good part about his method is you can have differt (increasingly hot) temps for each bath.
i want to be able to go down in the lab turn on my laser (warm up for 5 mins.) shoot a sucessful hologram and finish it in a shortest period of time...
Cool, I understand. Premade plates ;-)

All I can say Dave is you are one of the carefull ones that pays attention to detail (not overheating your alcohol). I just try to suggest the safest way to a new poster that I know work just as well also.
yes the microwave is the best way easy and simple ..... just dont put aluminum in at the same time :)
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

First, I am amazed so many can afford a dedicated microwave instead of a $6 heating pad and would actully convince new DCGers that a mircowave is the way to go when that money can be spent so much more wisely with optics, etc. But what do I know.

Unless of course your taking a container that may have the residual toxin CRVI and putting it into your kitchen food microwave. Nasty. I never, ever bring ANYTHING that was in my lab into my kitchen. I hope no one else is either.
BobH

Post by BobH »

I never, ever bring ANYTHING that was in my lab into my kitchen. I hope no one else is either.
I've lived in my studio where I used the same sink for everything, but always kept everything clean and in its place. You certainly never want to use bottles to hold chemicals that were previously food bottles. I also recommend never using kitchen ware for lab trays. Photo trays are cheap. Forget the tupperware. Even now my refrigerator holds more film and beer than food. :shock:
Kiffdino

Post by Kiffdino »

first of all, im very concerned about safety.
problem is ive got no lab so im moving between my bedroom (theres my laser and the washing baths) and the kitchen (where i got the alcohol baths)
im especially worried about that dichromate, because its so carcinogen and i have to move it around my bed and my desk.
even though i cover my desk and bed with paper tablecloths (so i can see where the yellow stains went), im not feeling comfortable around that chemical

microvaving alcohol has come to my mind before, but ive seen our microwave spark on various ocasions before and i dont wont to risk a fire. :D
Kiffdino

Post by Kiffdino »

last thing about the dichromate.
Im measuring the chromate dosage on my balkony, putting 5g into one small bottle.
So when im inside i can put the powder immediatly into the water with the other chemicals.

But is still think theres a risk from dried stains, dusting into the air and getting in my lungs.
Or am i just overconcerned?
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

JohnFP wrote:First, I am amazed so many can afford a dedicated microwave instead of a $6 heating pad and would actully convince new DCGers that a mircowave is the way to go when that money can be spent so much more wisely with optics, etc. But what do I know.

Unless of course your taking a container that may have the residual toxin CRVI and putting it into your kitchen food microwave. Nasty. I never, ever bring ANYTHING that was in my lab into my kitchen. I hope no one else is either.
its been in my lab for years, and only use one container for the 91% iso for heating. its not for the faint at heart! but microwave can be a very useful tool :wink:

also we use so little amount of dichromate, as long as you dont eat the Jello and wash your hands ther is no problem let be real here, a gram or so of dichromate vers a hill of Dichromate
Kiffdino

Post by Kiffdino »

well checked my heating pad and it goes up to 40°C
John you must have some really powerful ones if yours goes up to 60°C
Solarenemy

Post by Solarenemy »

Kiffdino wrote:well checked my heating pad and it goes up to 40°C
John you must have some really powerful ones if yours goes up to 60°C

Actually yours may just be weak. :) I know here in the US all the ones I have ever seen go well over 100f which would be about 68c. You may want to consider a new heating pad unless there is a limit on what temp they can reach on your country. :P