Mirror resurfacing

Starting point for beginners questions.
Holomark

Mirror resurfacing

Post by Holomark »

I am getting ready to hand over my 12 inch collimating mirror to someone to resurface. It was an e-bay purchase. It was not perfect when purchased and in my care has only gotten worse. I found one person in the area who seems to know about resurfacing and who has quoted a very reasonable price.

I don't know much about resurfacing and was wondering if there is anything special about the resurfacing of a collimating mirror for holography that I need to make sure is done or ask about.

So, anything I sould know?

Thanks
Mark
BobH

Mirror resurfacing

Post by BobH »

Why would it need resurfacing? Do you mean re-coating? Re-coating is just stripping the old one and putting on a new one in a vacuum chamber. Resurfacing means re-polishing to improve the figure or remove deep scratches or "orange peel". That involves more time and skill. Where are you having it done?

Either way, tell them to NOT put any marks in the center, as is typical for telescope mirrors these days.
holomaker

Mirror resurfacing

Post by holomaker »

Yup Bob's got it correct as usual ! It should cost you less than a couple hundred dollars.... be sure to get the "enhanced aluminium coating" usually meaning its got an overcoating to help protect it from the eviroment and your fingers!
Jeffrey Weil

Mirror resurfacing

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hello Dave,

You've made a slight mistake there. Enhanced alum is an oxide coating to "enhance" reflectivity. All standard aluminum coatings come with silicon monoxide or some other protection to keep it from tarnishing in the air.

I used these guys a few years ago and the mirror still looks great. They did a fine job and it wasn't that expensive either. I got the standard alum coating.

http://www.spectrum-coatings.com/

Jeff W
142laser

Mirror resurfacing

Post by 142laser »

See if a protected Aluminum is available. This doies not tarnish and holds up better than bare. A couple hundred bucks is reasonable! Phil
holomaker

Mirror resurfacing

Post by holomaker »

Jeffrey Weil wrote:Hello Dave,

You've made a slight mistake there. Enhanced alum is an oxide coating to "enhance" reflectivity. All standard aluminum coatings come with silicon monoxide or some other protection to keep it from tarnishing in the air.

I used these guys a few years ago and the mirror still looks great. They did a fine job and it wasn't that expensive either. I got the standard alum coating.

http://www.spectrum-coatings.com/

Jeff W
Yes thanks Jeff, i thought that statement might get me in trouble, years back when i had my 12" recoated, the coatings offered were aluminised only (no overcoat), or the "enhanced" version which was topcoated .........
Jeffrey Weil

Mirror resurfacing

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

No overcoat! Wow, I don't think I've owned an alum mirror that wasn't protected. How fast do they tarnish?
holomaker

Mirror resurfacing

Post by holomaker »

Sorry cant say how fast Jeffery, as i had the "enhanced" version done ............
holorefugee

Mirror resurfacing

Post by holorefugee »

Refiguring is another topic entirely and can also be undertaken.
holowizard

Mirror resurfacing

Post by holowizard »

If this company does work on telescope mirrors (sounds like they do) you might want to look into protected silver. Aluminum is only 88% reflective; silver gives you table-flat reflectivity at 96% across the entire visible spectrum. Laser light is expensive; every milliwatt NOT absorbed by mirror coatings goes to do more useful work (like illuminating the subject and plate). Short of broadband dielectrics, I would think this is the best way to go (and the cost difference between silver and aluminum, considering the amount of metal actually used, should be minimal).