pseudocolour with PFG-01

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Kiffdino

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Kiffdino »

hi,

I want to a make pseudocolour hologram.

with my 5 mw integraf laser diode.

though im planning to get myself a 30mw HeNe laser.

I wanted to know if it is possible to make a pseudocolor holograms on PFG-01 film.

I read the article in the holowiki by Ed Wesley on Triethanolimining:

http://www.holographyforum.org/HoloWiki ... nolimining

The article describes the method on silver halide plates.

Does the PFG-01 film behave identically?
Ed Wesly

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Ed Wesly »

Pretty much so. As always, it takes some practice to get you own system worked out, like maybe 5% would have given green on Agfa but it gives orange on PFG. (PFG is a silver halide plate.)

The main problem is getting the knack of squeegeeing the plate streak-free!

And don't be afraid to ask for more tips, we have the originator of the technique, Jeff Blyth on board, plus Bob Hess, one of the cleanest working proponents of the process!
Kiffdino

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Kiffdino »

so there is no difference between the PFG-01 Holographic Plate and the PFG-01 Holographic Film ?

the emulision behaves the same ?
Colin Kaminski

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Mostly. You will find ther is batch to batch differences as well as differences in your TEA from batch to batch. If I remember right with pfg-01 I was using 3% to get gold, 5% to get green and 8 or 9% to get blue from 632nm.

It is very important to practice Squeegee technique as any streaks left behind will replay a different color.
MichaelH

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by MichaelH »

Kiffdino wrote:so there is no difference between the PFG-01 Holographic Plate and the PFG-01 Holographic Film ?
the emulision behaves the same ?

In gross terms, yes. There are slight differences. I've some evidence that the film does pass some water that results in differences in development time.

Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast that you have to tune the process to your combination of emulsion and developing regime.
Kiffdino

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Kiffdino »

thankyou for your quick replys !

on more thing:

right now im writing my shopping list:

so I will need the TEA

but what developer will work best ?

-TJ1 ?

-Metol-Ascorbate developer and EDTA bleach ?

-CWC2 ?

will the holograms be bright enough then or do I need one more additional treatment ?

Ed wesley wrote in is article on Triethanolimining:

Lay out bottles of different concentrations of TEA; usually a series of 2.5, 5.0, 7.5, 10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5, and 20.0 per cent solutions will span the visible and maybe even into the ultraviolet in some cases with a sensible division of the spectrum. Soak a plate or two in each concentration for two to five minutes, the soaking time is not as critical as the time spent exposed to your "safe"light.

Did he mean you are suppose to mix the TEA with water?

so one bath where you mix 2.5g TEA in one liter of deionized water

another bath where you put in 5g TEA in one liter of deionized water

and so on .....
ErichRose

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by ErichRose »

Yes the Trieth is mixed with water. I can't remember if it's a liquid or a powder but if its a liquid it is in mililiters and water is added to equal 100ml.

example: 10ml Trieth + 90ml H2O = 100ml total; 7.5 ml + 92.5ml = 100ml; etc.

Soaking time for me was always 2 minutes (found my notes!) but that probably varies depending on the emulsion's ability to take it in. I was using Agfa 8E75HD plates back then.

I'm not sure what the safe light issue is other than the possibility that since Trieth increases sensitivity it might also push the sensitivity into different wavelengths. Anybody have some knowledge/thoughts on that?
Colin Kaminski

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Use a safelight, however if you have no red or blue in the safelight then you will not have any fogging. Look at the Safe Light section of the wiki for more information.
Kiffdino

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Kiffdino »

ok but still which developer should i choose ?
Colin Kaminski

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Just to make it simple use the whole JD-3 kit. It will not shrink the gelatin at all so all shifting will be from the TEA.