2006 Holography contest sign-up thread

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
ron olson

Post by ron olson »

John,

You an take 2 photos; you can take 20 photos: it's not an issue of how many points of perspective you have - it's the medium and how it's perceived. Things that have a dimensional nature require a different type of visualization than do things that are flat in nature (I sometimes refer to it as active visualization vs. passive visualization) and this is what I object to in looking at holography through any representational medium. As something of an aside: I have a good friend who has studied how people who spend too much time staring at flat screens indeed show impared abilities to see volumes: their occular muscles don't perform up to speed and they eventually have difficulty in adjusting from near-field to far-field.
HoloM

Post by HoloM »

Hi!

I am sorry, but as it seems at this time, I think I don't manage to make a hologram till the end of the contest. I don't have much time for holography in this weeks. So maybe I can't enter with a own picture. Just want to let you know in advance.

Matthias
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Don't give up yet. You still have 2 1/2 weeks before the deadline.

Speaking of which, I know Andres has been working hard on his entry and I'm about to do some lighting test shots this morning for mine. How are the rest of you doing?
Tony

Post by Tony »

Progress report: Two H1 masters done, need to change table over to copy mode. Hoping to do video for submission, but I've never done that before.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

ron olson wrote:John,
You an take 2 photos; you can take 20 photos: it's not an issue of how many points of perspective you have - it's the medium and how it's perceived. Things that have a dimensional nature require a different type of visualization than do things that are flat in nature (I sometimes refer to it as active visualization vs. passive visualization) and this is what I objec! to in looking at holography through any representational medium.

Ron, I think you misunderstood my statement about two photos. I was speaking about a stereo pair (cross eyed, far focus, etc...) that would allow one to see a pretty good representation of the 3D-ism of the hologram.

I agree that a flat medium does not do holography justice but unfortunately that is what we are stuck with for the time being on computers. That's why I support stereo pairs, videos etc... as apposed to a single flat image. Not great, but better.

I am going to try to include one of these for each of my new holograms I want to show.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

MichaelH wrote:How are the rest of you doing?

my chemicals are set, i just acquired an image, and its now time to start shooting!
jcfolke

Post by jcfolke »

We'll give the contest a try!
Kris Meerlo

Post by Kris Meerlo »

Sorry I am out.

I have no time to make the best ever dog hologram this month.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Kris Meerlo wrote:Sorry I am out.
I have no time to make the best ever dog hologram this month.
sorry to hear this kris...... :cry:

now it sounds like we are down to around 13 entries .......

I guess, time will tell :twisted:
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

I'm tossing in the towel.

I haven't had the results I hoped for and I doubt it will get better in the next couple of days.

My idea was a dog house made of reflection holograms so as to see a virtual dog inside.