TEA

Silverhalide Emulsions / Chemistry.
Johnfp

TEA

Post by Johnfp »

I'm thinking on the second one, where I tried to wash out the TEA, without copious amounts of rinses, some residual TEA was left in and on the plate and when I leaned it to dry, the TEA migrated down from top to bottom.

Do you all dry your TEA soaked plates horizontal or leaning against a wall?
Arturo

TEA

Post by Arturo »

Johnfp wrote:Do you all dry your TEA soaked plates horizontal or leaning against a wall?
I have never used TEA, but are you not suposed to actually squeeze the plate, not only let it dry?
Johnfp

TEA

Post by Johnfp »

Oh, I did squeegy then stand it up to let the emulsion fully dry.
Ed Wesly

TEA

Post by Ed Wesly »

Looks like the drying time was not long enough, if your 6% got so blue. Or your processing chemistry causes a shrinkage along with the TEA shrinkage.

Plus on the second one it looks like it wasn’t totally dry, with the gradient across the plate. I am assuming that the side of the plate that was blue was the edge on the bottom when drying? Or the squeegee-ing was not consistent.
Squeegee-ing the plate is essential, as the fairly viscous TEA needs to be spread evenly through the coating. I dry the plate in a dish drying rack, so it is vertical, with one corner at the lowest point. Usually a drop accumulates there.

Maybe just longer drying times will clear up the problems. If you have a spin coating device that might also help, as most of the water gets thrown out and the rest evaporates, leaving the heavier TEA behind.

It’s a tricky, nasty process, that’s why so few of the old school used it, but once the bugs are worked out some very beautiful images can be made!

Patience is key!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols