TEA

Silverhalide Emulsions / Chemistry.
Johnfp

TEA

Post by Johnfp »

Here is one for you Silver dudes and dudettes (no, not the silver haired dudes and dudettes but silver film..hehe)

What can I expect the increase in speed to be for PFG-01 using about 8% TEA presoak? 10%, 20%?
Also, how long do I let the TEA soaked plate set (dry) approximately after I squeegy it?

I am just trying to find some kind of base starting point for all the variables then I will tweek them in.

Thanks in advance, I know you guys are saving me plates with every tip.

Peace,
John
holomaker

TEA

Post by holomaker »

yea John like A 30 second soak will do it with a nice squeegee afterward (no streaks please), i dont remember the speed changing vrs the ammount of TEA , i do remember the very cool multi-colors that came from using it tho.......... do the first exposuer w/ the film alone then do a soak in the TEA and shoot your 2nd exposuer................. nice! good luck and lets see pictures (even if they are crummy ones)!
Ed Wesly

TEA

Post by Ed Wesly »

If you were really as anal as me, you would do test strips with treated and untreated plates. And maybe even at different concentrations.

But typically the TEA treatment cuts down exposure by 1/2 or even 1/4! Others here might know better than me!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Tom B.

TEA

Post by Tom B. »

John Sonley wrote:
Tom B. wrote:I bought 100ml years ago and have used about 40 ml. TEA solutions are re-usable for quite a while.
Tom - I find that the diluted TEA I have used (5% by volume) starts to go 'off' with floating white bits in suspension if stored at room tenperatures for a month or so. It could be that I make the solution up using 'distilled' water from my lab. de-humidifier and it's quite likely that there will be some bacteria in the water, upon which the amine will feed
Correction: my TEA usage was higher than claimed - I actually used about 80 ml of a 100 ml container, bought another, still unopened. Which says more about my inactivity than anything else ... I do keep the TEA solution refrigerated near about 5C which greatly extends its life.

Re using dehumidifier water for chemistry (or drinking): I would point out that ambient dust, airborne spores, and bacteria will be highly concentrated in the drippings. Would recommend boiling and filtration before even thinking about using it. Much easier to spend a dollar or two on a gallon of clean distilled water.
Johnfp

TEA

Post by Johnfp »

OK, so I got my TEA in.

Keep it refriderated
30 second soak
about half the exposure time

But
How long does the plate need to dry after the soak and squeegy?
What is the maximum time the plate can set/be stored after soaking?
Johnfp

TEA

Post by Johnfp »

Ok, I have to do the hologram tonight. And since there seems to be very little activity and information available for using TEA, the below will be my baseline,.

3 plates left
Going to use 6% TEA as I get a little shrinkage with regular processing anyway. I get orange instead of red.
Going to presoak for 30 seconds and let dry for at least 20 - 30 minutes (thats how long it takes for my final processed plate to dry to see an image)
Going to do a rinse bath prior to develop to remove most of the TEA.
Process as normal in JD2.
Squeegy of TEA is important.
Cutting exposure to 10 - 12 seconds.

Keep your fingers crossed, I really need to get one really good hologram out of the three tonight.
Jeffrey Weil

TEA

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hello John,

If you pre soak your plates in water the 30 sec in the tea might be enough. But if the plates are dry 30 sec probably won't get all the way into the emulsion.

I would let it sit in the tea longer. It won't do any harm but too short of a soak will, you'll have color variations across the plate.

Jeff W
Johnfp

TEA

Post by Johnfp »

Thanks Jeffrey, I read 2 mins in some paper, so I left them in for 1 min. Hope that is enough.
Johnfp

TEA

Post by Johnfp »

TEA? Baaa Humbug. I'm sticking to coffee.

That stuff proves most difficult to work with. I mean, who in their right mind wants to adds an oil to their process. Hat's off to all of you that use it. It's a royal pain in the cigar butt. I may play with good old table salt or sugar, which I used before with some sucess.

6% was way too much. Seems I only need a very little bit of extra swelling.
IMG_0362red.jpg
Here I tried to wash the TEA out of the emulsion and then let the plate dry for an hour to try to recoop the plate. No luck.
IMG_0363red.jpg
holomaker

TEA

Post by holomaker »

nice job John, i like the last shot as you can easily see the adjusability the TEA has in the colors blue-thru-orange...........