First few on PFG-03

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
Stendec_Stan

First few on PFG-03

Post by Stendec_Stan »

Hi all,

Since I was having so much trouble with brightness on PFG-01 I decided to give 03 a try.

These are the first few I've made and are a lot brighter than anything I've been able to do with 01 :D Also from what I can tell the emulsion is just as hard as 01.

All are on 2.5x2.5 plates, 15mw hene, 15sec exposure (seems a long time for 15mw), developed for a minute in JD4 and bleached until clear. None have been pre treated.

Stan

rja4096

First few on PFG-03

Post by rja4096 »

Stendec_Stan, Nice holograms. I started about a year ago with PFG-03m, with 12 plates from Integraf. When I'd used these up, tried PFG-01, due to being much cheeper & able to cut up to get exposure and developing times right.

11 Holograms later, I still have not got anything as bright as with PFg-03m.

However I did find the emulsion with 03 very soft, once I tried rinsing in running water just after development - I ended up washing all the emulsion down the sink. Another time I rinsed in warm water in a 1 litre tub, again the emulsion came off the plate. - I've found 01 a lot more solid and means I can squeege it. - I tended to get bubbles with 03.

For my next hologram, I going to try a transmission using 01, I hear its supposed to be better than 03 for this.

Regards, Rick.
Stendec_Stan

First few on PFG-03

Post by Stendec_Stan »

Thanks Rick,

I put off using 03 for a while because of the softness of the emulsion but I've not had a problem with it, I've even tried scraping it off with my finger nail without even scratching it.

I think I've heard that 01 is good for transmitions, let me know how you get on.

Stan
Colin Kaminski

First few on PFG-03

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I have heard that Slavich has tried to make the 03 emulsion harder. Perhaps you have a later batch. Nice holograms?

How did your exposure times compare?
Stendec_Stan

First few on PFG-03

Post by Stendec_Stan »

This batch is dated December 2004 so it's fairly new. When I posted my pfg-01 hologram it was pointed out that it looked overexposed so I started out with a much shorter exposure, four seconds as I recall which didn't turn out too bright. The next two I did were 8secs and 15sec, not much between them but 15 seemed just a little brighter. I've played around a little and it seems quite forgiving with regard to exposure and development times.

Stan
JohnFlux

First few on PFG-03

Post by JohnFlux »

Hi,
This is my first post here - so Hi!

With PFG-03C, you have to develop and bleach with the chemicals at below 19 degrees centigrade. I'm certain that this is why the two of you have different experiences in the hardness - you have different temperatures.

You can alternatively harden it by using a hardener such as adding a drop of formalin 37% into the developer (10ml per litre).

At the moment I'm experimenting with which is best, and haven't really decided either way. Mostly I just do it both ways :)

Hope I helped at all
JohnFlux
Dinesh

First few on PFG-03

Post by Dinesh »

[quote:db0e6d68f0="JohnFlux"]Hi,
This is my first post here - so Hi!

With PFG-03C, you have to develop and bleach with the chemicals at below 19 degrees centigrade. I'm certain that this is why the two of you have different experiences in the hardness - you have different temperatures.

You can alternatively harden it by using a hardener such as adding a drop of formalin 37% into the developer (10ml per litre).

At the moment I'm experimenting with which is best, and haven't really decided either way. Mostly I just do it both ways :)

Hope I helped at all
JohnFlux[/quote:db0e6d68f0]
I tried formalin and almost choked. It seems that to use 03, it's a question of gagging or freezing. Hmmmm :D
Actually, thanks for the temperature data. I'm experimenting on colour in silver and the only emulsion I can get is 03C. However, the softness aspect has a been a major problem. In San Diego, California it rarely ever gets down to 19 C!
JohnFlux

First few on PFG-03

Post by JohnFlux »

Hi,
Currently I use a water bath, and a drop of formalin. (I only make up 500ml of bleach at a time, and can't measure 5ml of formalin - i need to get a syringe or something. so I just pour a tiny bit in).

As for gagging.. hmm, I don't remember it smelling particulary foul. I'm gonna die young from the chemicals I do breathe, so it's probably that ;)

JohnFlux