Handdrawn Hologram

Starting point for beginners questions.
appeltje

Handdrawn Hologram

Post by appeltje »

Anybody experimented or has experience with handmade scratch (scratchogram) Holograms ?
kyodai

Handdrawn Hologram

Post by kyodai »

A buddy of mine showed me some that he used to make at school but although they were "good work" and somehow "impressive" i guess they are not everyone's cup of tea.

I have seen some at youtube that were quite amazing, still nothing i could imagine me getting into but that guy really made some amazing stereoscopic stuff with his scratching, maybe take a peek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUy8lELWhJg
appeltje

Handdrawn Hologram

Post by appeltje »

Looks nice , I also found out that there was some software around to help you
draw the lines called 3Dsilhouette but I can,t find it anywhere .
How do they make the scratches shiny ???
Looks that it works best with a single point light source.
holomaker

Handdrawn Hologram

Post by holomaker »

Please see former Forum posts here;
http://holoforum.org/oldforum/viewtopic ... 202#p39999
a_k

Handdrawn Hologram

Post by a_k »

Hello appeltje, welcome to the forum.

I've made a number of hand scratched holograms. The method is simple, all it takes is a circle and a transparent film. It is just a really tedious task to make all those circular arcs. The results are fascinating at first, but after spending a few hours scratching it got boring for me. I tried a program to generate scratch holograms. The calculated patterns were printed on a transparent with a laser printer. Unfortunately the holgrams could not be reconstructed. Maybe the resolution or the print quality was not good enough.
appeltje

Handdrawn Hologram

Post by appeltje »

Hello A_K , thanks for your input , which program did you use ?? and is it publicly available ??
a_k

Handdrawn Hologram

Post by a_k »

You can find the program here: http://corticalcafe.com/prog_CGHmaker.htm
holorefugee

Handdrawn Hologram

Post by holorefugee »

I too have made many scratch holograms. I believe I have the latest software and can supply it to anyone who PM's me.
Toti

Handdrawn Hologram

Post by Toti »

Hi everybody! I'm lloking for some advice oon how to create 3d scratch holograms.
apart from the possibility of just using software to determine the scratches to make, do any of you have some precise advise about how to create effective 3d holograms? I mean what kind of curves should be drawn, on what basis to vary radius, and how to know when to interrupt scratches for opacity effects?
I saw on bill beaty's famous youtube submission that started this topic that he drew a rotating cilinder with curves that responded to a square function, wich he probably stylized with some different circular arcs one next to another (although it is fairly doable to build a conic compass that also draws square function curves).
Or even without a detailed mathematical explanation, if any of you who is good at it made a clear tutorial video on how to create 3d cubes and prisms, or even better objects with curved surfaces, and opacity effects with hidden objects, that would be great for noobs like me who probably represent the 95% population of those interested in making abrasion holograms by hand. Just explain the principles and show how it works on a 5 to 8 minutes video on youtube, that would be awesome (and probably gain more views than beaty's one). If not, if any of you is willing to give me explanations through PM I would be really grateful!

Toti
holorefugee

Handdrawn Hologram

Post by holorefugee »

Hopefully you got the software I sent and sorted out how to install VB6. I have made a few and they are a challenge. Getting a good scratch depth without creating any white fuzz/dust on the edges is tough.

I have made only simple geometric objects. Start with a cube and then work from there.