Need a blue laser solution

Starting point for beginners questions.
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hello Justin,

That looks like a nice laser for holos. Too bad for me its not enough power at that freq for serious work in resist. I'll be calling them later today to see if there going to be offering a higher powered model in the future.

I'll post the prices I get from them. If they have their act together and can actually deliver a real product unlike the others out there.

Jeff Weil
djm

Post by djm »

The color holo lab at the Lund Institute of Technology are using a blue Cobolt laser according to this paper. You can probably reach the author via Holography at Ning to hear about their experience with this laser.
Martin

Post by Martin »

CNI has a 100mW single longitudinal mode blue laser at 473nm:
http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/MSL-FN-473.pdf

Possibly those lasers are based on a "twisted-mode technique": http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/MSL-FN-473.pdf
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hello Everyone,

I got some info back from the cobalt people. 11 grand for 50 mw with tons of coherence at 457.

Jeff Weil
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

The going price for a used Melles Griot 457nm solid-state blue laser with 400mW (200mW each of the 2 beams) and 5 meters coherence length is around $6,500.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Dinesh comments this laser and holography officially in a Melles-Griot leaflet. Seems a professional solution at 457nm..
Justin W

Post by Justin W »

Jeff - thanks, dude, for checking into that. Like you mentioned, that particular laser isn't necessarily cut out for the work you do, and so I appreciate the effort all the more.

It's really beginning to look unfortunate that blue is such an expensive band to lase in. Transverse mode qualities may have to take a back seat to longitudinal mode structure; It looks at this point as though the only source of deep blue SLM photons that I can possibly afford is going to be a 445nm diode. I've heard some folks saying that this low-quality beam can be re-shaped into something closer to TEM00. I may have to pursue this avenue and would be massively appreciative of any insight that anyone could lend as far as cleaning up a diode beam!

Thanks for all your footwork on this topic, guys.
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Hi,
The SLM lasers from high end companies on the continent are just too expensive for all but professional holographers. Coherent just released Sapphire SF but they are not cheap either. Many laser companies in China now make SLM blue and red lasers but even these sources are not that cheap. Dr. Lorne Nelson at Bishops university has a list with models and prices; I will ask him to post this list or a link to it. As I have posted before many Coherent Sapphires CAN be used for holography. Some of the lasers are SLM and quite well behaved. Having said that I might have to test 3 or 4 before finding 1 that I am confident will be good for holography. Many times when they (Coherent Sapphire) go MLM one tap with a fingernail on the laser mounting plate will snap them back to SLM. Neat trick. Try it. :) Phil
8-)
kyodai

Post by kyodai »

I have been looking at these cheapo modules, probably impossible to compare to a Melles-Griot or similar, but maybe they could be stable enough for use in holography? At least for a noob like me the description reads quite nice for the tiny pricetag...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Real-1W-blue-laser- ... 0613101072