Want to buy Shutter

Sell or buy stuff.
Forum rules
Finding new homes for holography-related items is encouraged. Even commercial enterprises with goods to offer are welcome as long as it is in the spirit of members helping members. If a for-sale post reads like an infomercial, though, you have probably crossed the line of acceptability.
Kiffdino

Want to buy Shutter

Post by Kiffdino »

Hi,
looking for some kind of shutter.
Build one myself some time ago from a voltmeter, that didnt work out.
I really appriciate any offers.
Viking

Want to buy Shutter

Post by Viking »

Just look in your drawer. Everybody have an old harddisk lying around. Remove the disks and the motor. Glue a piece of black plastic or cardboard to the heads. Solder two wires to the voicecoil, to make the heads move. I use one switch to chance direction and another to activate it. It have a very strong pull, don't wory about the shutter being too heavy as with a voltmeter. In one position it is held by a magnet (it is there allready) in the other it is held by gravity so you don't need to have it connected to power all the time, only for a second to move it!
I know you want to buy a shutter, just thought I would mention this simple construction.
Jeffrey Weil

Want to buy Shutter

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hello Everyone,

If you can get a shutter from Dave B. I don't know if he as anymore but it's the best non high speed shutter I've ever had.

If he's out try a rotary solenoid. I used to use them a lot. Most snap a little hard so you want it off the table. I used to use a mic stand and put the solenoid on a gooseneck so I could easily move it out of the way of the beam.

Something like this. This one even has a paddle already attached.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lucas-Ledex-Rotary- ... 4cf49b917b

This is the kind I used to use.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ledex-Rotary-Soleno ... 2eaa50547b

Jeff Weil
Kiffdino

Want to buy Shutter

Post by Kiffdino »

Thankyou Viking for your DIY instructions. But i want to buy one.
Thankyou Jeffrey for the link.
Ill get the second one.
Jeffrey Weil

Want to buy Shutter

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hey There,

I just looked at that link again, its coil is 110ac. I wouldn't get that one. Look for one just like it set for some low voltage dc. 12vdc or less. 110 around the table is an unnecessary risk. Sorry I didn't read that more clearly the first time.

Jeff Weil
holorefugee

Want to buy Shutter

Post by holorefugee »

A piece of electrical tape on the needle of an old ohm meter display works well as a flag for low power lasers. I have even seen people drill a hole in the ohm meter body for the laser to avoid making a new case.
Justin W

Want to buy Shutter

Post by Justin W »

Another DIY idea that has worked out well for my (admittedly somewhat ghetto) setup is to use the shutter from an old Polaroid camera.
They already have an actuating solenoid integrated and require ~3vdc. After carefully excising the shutter frame from the old camera, you'll find that the solenoid is fed by a ribbon cable that you can snip the excess from with scissors. At that point it's fairly easy to determine which traces lead to the coil. Just solder on your own leads and feed it 3vdc from an old wall wart transformer or something of the like. When powered the shutter will snap closed. Upon loss of power a built in spring snaps the shutter back open. Interrupting the input voltage with a remote normally-closed switch of some kind gives you control.

I dangle my shutter from a lightweight boom, letting it hang in the beam path without anything contacting the table. When preparing to do an exposure, I plug in the transformer to close the shutter, load my film and proceed with settling time. I can then sit on my couch with a stopwatch and make the exposure with a microswitch on a long whip of speaker wire that leads under my laboratory door. Easy peasy.
Kiffdino

Want to buy Shutter

Post by Kiffdino »

Thankyou for all the help.
I did use a diy shutter before. It was a voltmeter with something on top of the needle.
Now i have one of the Solenoids Jeffrey recomended. Its working great.
When i apply a current of 18V it opens, without electricity it returns to its position.
Just great ;-). Now I just have to mount it to the wall somehow not touching the table to avoid any vibrations
Jeffrey Weil

Want to buy Shutter

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hey,

Glad the shutter is working out for you. Those are designed to deliver a fair amount of torque. Much more than you need. If you keep the shutter open for a long period of time it might get warm or even hot. If it does try running it with less voltage than its rated for. Find the lowest voltage that will still reliably turn the solenoid.

When I used these I would get a cheap gooseneck lamp from Home Depot. The kind with a big clip on the end for attaching to a shelf. Remove the lamp and glue the solenoid to where it was. You can run the wires up through the gooseneck. You now have something that can not only clip onto a mic stand, a small piece of wood screwed to the wall, a conduit on that wall, etc... but can be swung out of the way without removing it.

You could also get a gooseneck lamp with a flat base for a desktop. Drill a hole in the base and screw that to the wall.
clip.jpg
Jeff Weil
Kiffdino

Want to buy Shutter

Post by Kiffdino »

great idea, thanks