3D to 3D

Starting point for beginners questions.
Tony

3D to 3D

Post by Tony »

I am back on the beginners page...

So we all know we can take a 3D object and produce a 3D image. Let's say we just made a simple Denisyuk. Is there a way to take that 3D image and make a 3D object again?

Here at my work we have 3D printers that take cad drawing and produce objects so that is no sweat, but can a hologram be imaged into some computer program?

Thanks,
Tony
Dinesh

3D to 3D

Post by Dinesh »

You can't make the 3D object again. Why would you want to? You have the original!

If, however, you mean: can you do a 3d digital capture from the holographic image, then the answer is yes. The real image (usually the pseudoscopic from the reverse side of the plate) is the actual focused waveform of the original object. There is no optical test to distinguish between the real object and it's real holographic image. So, in the case of your Denisyuk, reverse the plate so as to get the real image, then take a series of photographs or a video as you scan around the image. The resulting series of photographs, or video, can then be used as a standard 3d digital capture to be inserted into a cad or a 3d graphics s/ware package (eg Lightwave). When I said there is no difference between the real object and the holographic image, there is one proviso. You can put a real object on a turntable and rotate it, rather than scan a camera around it. In the case of the hologram, the symmetry is broken; you have to scan the camera around the image, you cannot rotate the image itself. Of course, the better the hologram, the more realistic is the 3d digital capture.
favalora

3D to 3D

Post by favalora »

Tony -

This is a new startup from MIT whose stuff might work for this application, although I don't know how much holographic geometric distortion it can unravel: http://www.hypr3d.com/. You upload a bunch of photos and it generates a 3D mesh file.

Also, I just saw an iPhone / camera-iPod Touch app that converts photos into 3D models, I think.

Gregg