Diazo (Speedball) gelatin hologram

Dichromated Gelatin.
Martin

Re: Diazo (Speedball) gelatin hologram

Post by Martin »

Din wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:32 pm
Martin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:34 am
Din wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:40 am Joy tells me that I tried to throw it out when we left Triple Take behind, but she rescued it; she knows it's somewhere, but doesn't know where.
That sounds exciting. Would be nice to see it online some day.
Martin, Joy found the book I inherited from Don Broadbent.
non-silver.jpg

I see, thanks for mentioning!

Jaromir Kosar's Light-Sensitive Systems: Chemistry and Application of Nonsilver Halide Photographic Processes still is an extremely important book I think. Jeff sent me a copy of that book in the early 2000s. Ever since I've come back to it time and again. It covers an incredibly large area of topics.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Din wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:42 pm Here's the contents page for DCG and other materials. I used the method of carbon printing (chap 2.1b) to show it was possible to use DCG as a resist material. We recorded a thin hologram on DCG with depth < 1u, and then transferred the image to a piece of plastic by casting. We poured Norland onto the DCG, and laid a plastic film on the Norland. After curing the Norland, we peeled it off and showed the image on the plastic film. Processing was simply a warm water bath.
contents.jpg
Amazing! Using it as a resist seem to be the classic approach to DCG. By the way, I am pretty sure the ferric or diazo gelatin systems could be used for this as well.

In the context of DCG I always wandered how Curran/Shanoff got to the alcohol dehydration thing. I never found anything alike mentioned before in the photographic litterature.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Martin, you've almost certainly seen this old 1978 report, but in case you haven't, it includes some info on diazo sensitization:

https://erdc-library.erdc.dren.mil/jspu ... L-0128.pdf

Also some mention of casein, and among other things, corn zein :)
Martin

Post by Martin »

Joe Farina wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:40 pm Martin, you've almost certainly seen this old 1978 report, but in case you haven't, it includes some info on diazo sensitization:

https://erdc-library.erdc.dren.mil/jspu ... L-0128.pdf

Also some mention of casein, and among other things, corn zein :)
Yes, thanks, I've seen it.

In the 1980 paper I had mentioned earlier in this thread (Gladden, Grating formation in diazo salt (sensitized) gelatin) Gladden seems to have based his diazo gelatin tests but on fixed Kodak 649F plates. That produced some rather modest results in respect to DE, speed. I assume using a fixed AgX gelatin layer was kind of suboptimal. Who knows how the history of DCG (and diazo gelatin) had turned out if Gladden had coated his plates on his own.