Mixed Reality

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
Din

Mixed Reality

Post by Din »

From the article:
"Imagine reading a holographic recipe in the corner of your eye, while cooking."

Also:
"After a two hour session playing with Quest 3, I removed the goggles and asked Meta employees the $10 billion question (that's the amount the company invests annually in VR technology) about mixed reality: What's the point.

So now, the holography market is ten figures.
mixed_reality.jpg
mixed_reality.jpg (255.43 KiB) Viewed 5816 times
jrburns47

Re: Mixed Reality

Post by jrburns47 »

Hi Dinesh,
Interesting. The jpeg of the article is incomplete.
Din

Re: Mixed Reality

Post by Din »

Hi Jody
It's from today's (9/28) New York Times Business/Technology Section. It's too large for me to scan all of it, but here ( https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/27/tech ... adset.html ) the full article. You'll need a Times subscription to read all of it. Basically, there's a camera on the goggles, which feeds the outside world, as seen by the camera, into the goggles and superimposes computer generated imagery. But the goggles themselves are blacked out, so it's actually VR + 'real world'. One example the author (testing the goggles) points to is:
"To market the Quest 3, Meta highlighted mixed reality games. In First Encounters, a space game, I used a blaster gun to shoot a virtual wall, removing pieces of it brick by brick to see into the real world."

What's interesting to me is that they (the ubiquitous "they"!) seem to have completely given up on what we used to call AR (Artificial Reality). I remarked this morning to Joy (who's still working in this field) that I was able to make AR goggles 40 years ago, albeit on dcg which would not be allowed today. She pointed out that the AR glasses I made back in the 80's were designed for fixed imagery superimposed on the real world, eg seeing a menu when you glanced at a restaurant superimposed on the restaurant facade, or indeed on your table when you were seated. This, she pointed out, was not what the game designers wanted, they want moving, full colour imagery.