The simplest set-up for making your first Holograms

Starting point for beginners questions.
jeff-blyth

The simplest set-up for making your first Holograms

Post by jeff-blyth »

To make your first simple Denisyuk reflection holograms I do recommend working horizontally using a glass table top and not vertically. Vertical arrangements for beginners , usually result in failure due to stability problems unless you are using a special heavy vibration-isolating table.
Whereas beaming up your laser from underneath a glass table with the object sitting ontop of the plate is the most likely set-up to successfully give you your first hologram, particularly if you start by using a coin as object.
This is because if there are the usual mild vibrations going on through the floor the object and plate can ride the storm together. See Colin Davidson’s web site here:
http://d-i-yscience.blogspot.co.uk/
In paragraph 25 there is a photo of a simple holography testing table which is just a thick sheet of glass resting across the legs of a bar-stool on its side. I also go into much detail about making your own plates using only chemicals available on the Internet. You can then keep your expensive proprietary plates for your final masterpieces once you have proved your set-up with your own plates. I also go into detail about making your own developer and bleaches and I discuss some of my findings using the incredibly cheap laser pointers available these days.
John Klayer

Re: The simplest set-up for making your first Holograms

Post by John Klayer »

Thanks Jeff!