Optical table

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
mohammadhasan

Optical table

Post by mohammadhasan »

Hello
How i can build a homemade isolation(optical table)?
please help me
Thanks
JohnFP

Optical table

Post by JohnFP »

May I suggest using our Wiki? The link is close to the top on the right.
http://holowiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

There are many types of tables but it really depends on what type of hologram you want to make. For Single Beam Reflections you really don't even need a holographic table at all. Just a nice rigid surface would be fine, like a concrete paver. Then lay your object on the paver and your plate leans against the object. With the plate and object into contact, there will be minimal movement between the two.

Here are some more tables.
Holo-Table
http://holowiki.com/index.php/Optical_Bench
BobH

Optical table

Post by BobH »

I recommend staying away from any table design that uses sand. Sand is a terrible material to use for holography. It's a "hobby killer" just like a department store telescope or bicycle is a hobby killer. Yes, it can work, but there's no advantage to it that can't be satisfied by a solid table.
Tom B.

Optical table

Post by Tom B. »

BobH wrote:I recommend staying away from any table design that uses sand. Sand is a terrible material to use for holography. It's a "hobby killer" just like a department store telescope or bicycle is a hobby killer. Yes, it can work, but there's no advantage to it that can't be satisfied by a solid table.
Sand is bad. Not all that stable, and when disturbed it generates clouds of abrasive dust which will mess up any nearby optics or mechanical gear.
Colin Kaminski

Optical table

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Lon Moore did lots of great masters on a sand table. The advantage is the optics mounts can be made very cheaply. I can machine my own parts so I went to a solid table but don't eliminate sand so easily.
BobH

Optical table

Post by BobH »

Of course sand can be made to work, but anything done in a sand box can be just as easily and cheaply done on a solid table top. The only advantage to sand is the ability to carry it into a basement that's not accessable for a large solid table top. There's no other advantage I can see, and plenty of disadvantages. Despite the good intentions and a handfull of successful users, I think the recommendation to make holograms in sand boxes has been an enormous hobby killer.