This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I would like to make a new topic for DCG etc. but I am unsure as to what to include. One idea is to make anything that is chemistry releated. Another is to just make it home made plate making. Any thoughts?
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

I would suggest:

Silver Halide,
DCG
Other Materials (including Photopolymers, photoresist, etc)

You need keep it simple without subtopics?
edelbrp

Post by edelbrp »

Playing devil's advocate, I might suggest a new forum (if any) be inclusionary instead of exclusionary. In other words, perhaps a new forum for newbies to go and ask 'dumb' questions might add more of value than trying to subdivide the already successful General Holography forum?

Are DCG folks looking for a place to go where they don't have to bother with the noise from other discussions? Are the discussions happening so fast that having it all lumped together into General Holography is causing troubles? Are DCG specific posts so unique that only DCG folks will understand or be able to contribute to the threads? I'm guessing the answers to the above are 'no'. Substitute DCG with some other topic ('lasers & optics', 'silver based chemistry', etc.) and I'm not sure you'd fair much better.

I'm guessing that if you split a topic off to it's own forum that it would be slow-moving, have the same group of folks you already see on General Holography posting, and be yet-another-forum to check on.

On the other hand, it might be useful ('might', I say) to have a 'Beginning Holography' forum to give a safe place for people who stumble onto the site to ask dumb questions without being intimidated. You could then, potentially, call 'General Holography' something like 'Advanced Holography' although what ever you call it, you know that's where 99% of us would hang out! ;')

Just some thoughts to help round out the discussion!

-Phil
Martin

Post by Martin »

Colin Kaminski wrote:I would like to make a new topic for DCG etc. but I am unsure as to what to include. One idea is to make anything that is chemistry releated. Another is to just make it home made plate making. Any thoughts?
Due to the recent drop in posting activities I'd opt against further splitting since this might only reinforce segregate tendencies. Questioning even those subsections (“administration”, “general holography” etc.), I sometimes long for the early times on network54 where things seemed so easy.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

[quote:f13e47b763="Martin"]
Due to the recent drop in posting activities ...[/quote:f13e47b763]
I'd like to maybe correct this by re-creating the PCG competition we had a couple of years ago. We have new people on the forum now and maybe this will encourage more postings.
I'm sure others can find the various links, but basically, the competition was: make a hologram on any material of any size pertaining to cat(s). The holograms and rules were posted on the forum and were judged by all of us by some internet method. Tom B. won the last one. The prize is any hologram displayed on our site ( http://www.triple-take.com/ ) and a certificate as winner of the PCG competition.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Dinesh wrote:
Martin wrote:Due to the recent drop in posting activities ...
I'd like to maybe correct this by re-creating the PCG competition we had a couple of years ago. We have new people on the forum now and maybe this will encourage more postings.
I'm sure others can find the various links, but basically, the competition was: make a hologram on any material of any size pertaining to cat(s). The holograms and rules were posted on the forum and were judged by all of us by some internet method. Tom B. won the last one. The prize is any hologram displayed on our site ( http://www.triple-take.com/ ) and a certificate as winner of the PCG competition.
Why not post this as an official contest through a new topic in the main section of the forum? I think more people will see it that way.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

With dates and all. I will set up the poling and everything.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

I really didn't want to bring this up as this topic has been moved twice, but wouldn't it be better to have the PCG contest under the PCG section? Justa askin!!
:)