What are the best laser diodes for holography currently?

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
John K

Post by John K »

What laser diodes are usable for holography in the 25 to 35 mw plus range? I have been putting off building hopeing for more choice and higher power, but haven't seen anything forth comming.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

This is a loaded question. The diode is the easy part it is the circutry and trade offs that are the problem. What do you want to use this laser for? Are you willing to build the electronics?
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

I'm aware of only two in this power class that are easily available. The 50 mW 660 nm Panasonic LNCQ05PS has worked well for me. Others have reported good results with the 35 mw 660 nm Mitsubishi ML1016R but the one I tried seemed to only run multimode so it was not useful. Both are available from Optima - http://www.optima-optics.com/

Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Tom, you also use a 635nm diode. Are your exposure times shorter with this diode even though it is lower power? I would expect the film to be more sensitive at 635nm.
John K

Post by John K »

sorry, didn't mean for it to be a loaded question. What I am looking for are laser diodes have people have been able to produce holograms from. If I am going to shell out a few bucks For the diode and then spend the time to build the driver and case I want to know that my starting point, the diode has the potential to work in the first place. I know several have been mentioned on this form, but I want to know all my options. thanks.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I agree with Tom, I have used both of the diodes he talks about with good results. If you use the D&S driver then use the 35mw diode. If you use your own driver then you can use either. I have some ICWK chips I have been meaning to make a driver out of. I had to buy 5 to meet the minimum. If you want one for $5 drop me an e-mail at colinsk@pacbell.net.

Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

According to some film sensitivity curves (e.g. PFG-03M) 635 nm sensitivity might be as much as double that at 660 nm, but I can't say I've noticed any such large difference in the exposure requirements.