Stereogram DLP: epic FAIL

Holography related topics.
Justin W

Post by Justin W »

Well, the Optoma PK201 Pico projector arrived.

Diffraction is a huge issue.

I plugged the gadget into my computer in stock configuration for long enough to set up Windows for multiple displays, install drivers, etc. Then I got down to business.
The dis-assembly went well enough. With my jeweler's screwdrivers in hand and little heart going pitter-patter, I carefully split the case, popped the main board loose, pried the silly little speaker from its nest, and removed the anchoring screws from the DMD.
Everything was clad in copper.
This was clearly for heat-sink purposes, and by that point I was figuring a DLP chip must produce almost as much heart as fusion reactor. A narrow ribbon cable accidentally popped free from the main board during DMD removal, but I figured I'd simply clamp it back into place when I slapped it all back together.

The optical module containing DLP chip, LEDs and focusing optics was also well-clad in copper. In search of the LEDs I removed this two-piece casing and began following traces. Presently I found two small square plastic bits plugged into the module casing with ribbon cable passing through one and terminating in the other. These were indeed the LEDs. I carefully popped them loose to discover that the unit has one green LED and one red/blue LED.

I decided at this point to try to see if the rig would operate with no light source. I re-seated the loosed ribbon cable and DMD connector plug, re-attached power and re-connected to my computer. Pressing the power button on the unit yielded a flash of blue light from the control buttons. It worked! The loose LEDs were blinding. After a moment or two I wondered where the burning smell was coming from.

A thin wisp of scrid smoke was rising from where one of the homeless LEDs was resting on a piece of paper. By then I had noted that the ribbon cable that had come loose before fed only the lights and nothing else. After a hasty power-down I decided to see if the unit would still operate with this LED ribbon cable unattached.

It did. With no light source it was difficult to tell if the DLP was still doing anything, but the unit by all appearances was firing up. A keychain LED shining into one of the holes confirmed that the blur of light the unit seemed to be outputting was in fact changing to different blurs in time with the slideshow I started on my main monitor.

Not only had I successfully taken the unit apart, but had managed to put it back together and it operated without the LEDs! I was thrilled. Absolutely tickled pink.

It was clearly time for things to go south. I obligingly took the unit into the lab and aimed an object beam into the green hole.

I was rewarded with an image laced with what at first glance appeared to be horizontal stripes. Closer examination revealed an intricate pattern with the horizontal banding being the most outstanding feature. When viewed up close, the pattern looks almost like a texture... woven fabric or something... Apparently the edges tens of thousands of micromirrors do indeed disrupt the integrity of a reflected laser image.

I have no clue what to do at this point. I'm heartbroken.

Can anyone imagine any possible recourse? Gegg Flavora mentioned introducing an aperture somewhere. How would this work?
jnhong

Post by jnhong »

Never mind, saw the other post....