holographyforum.org

Discuss the old forum and how we would like to go on.
dannybee

holographyforum.org

Post by dannybee »

Paulos wrote:Thank you Ahmet for filling the gap so quickly.
.... but I think holography is big enough for 2 forums.
We all wish holography were big enough to support many forums, but for the time being it is just a niche.
Splitting the community is not just a brilliant idea, especially under extraordinary circumstances like this one.
Collaboration is what we need.
I can see the advantages for one in the USA and one over Seas
1 times are different
2 language

I think if we look at each other as co-partners and not competition
Joe Farina

holographyforum.org

Post by Joe Farina »

I like the idea of having a Europe-based forum. Since Colin's forum was US-based, and it's been the premier holography forum for all these years, I think a change would be refreshing. Colin mentioned that for every 1 poster on his forum, there were approximately 50 lurkers who did not participate. Maybe some of these are Europeans who would feel more comfortable on a forum based in Switzerland.

Ahmet chose to make this an English language forum, so that doesn't change. As for the different time zones, I think that's irrelevant. Most of the activity on Colin's forum seemed to occur between about 7AM to 3PM eastern US time, and I have a feeling it will be the same on Ahmet's forum. As for multiple forums, the fact is, there are few holographers worldwide who would participate in any forum, and multiple forums would be inconvenient.

By the way, I emailed Colin before this forum was established, expressing my heartfelt thanks for the Holography Forum. Thanks again, Colin!
dannybee

holographyforum.org

Post by dannybee »

Joe Farina wrote:I like the idea of having a Europe-based forum. Since Colin's forum was US-based, and it's been the premier holography forum for all these years, I think a change would be refreshing. Colin mentioned that for every 1 poster on his forum, there were approximately 50 lurkers who did not participate. Maybe some of these are Europeans who would feel more comfortable on a forum based in Switzerland.

Ahmet chose to make this an English language forum, so that doesn't change. As for the different time zones, I think that's irrelevant. Most of the activity on Colin's forum seemed to occur between about 7AM to 3PM eastern US time, and I have a feeling it will be the same on Ahmet's forum. As for multiple forums, the fact is, there are few holographers worldwide who would participate in any forum, and multiple forums would be inconvenient.

By the way, I emailed Colin before this forum was established, expressing my heartfelt thanks for the Holography Forum. Thanks again, Colin!
One of the biggest things that help me is not only the forum but coming out of the cave and meeting face to face with other holographer in a local setting, it’s kind of hard to travel to Switzerland.
With a big push coming next year in 3d there need to be some USA base forum/site, it’s already started here in Visalia I am visiting a Jr high school to talk about 3d and holography. Look I’m not in this for my own glory, way to old for this power stuff and would close it if the forum proved to be ineffective, if this site had groups in it I might fill more comfortable to let my efforts go. but I think colins reaction to close the forum and move it to a Europe-based and discourage any USA based forum out of fear is a bit of a over reaction, a bit like the fears of global warming. Give me some good reason to close my efforts? And I would do it in a heart beat.
dannybee

holographyforum.org

Post by dannybee »

After counseling with my friends I have decided to close the forum on holosource.org and keep the Holosource for contest, info, and supplies, it was founded on Tuesday, 24 November 2009

“Our purpose at Holosource.org is to promote the survival, enjoyment and spread of holography for art and other purposes. We will do so by teaching and display of holography through classes, a travelling gallery, special exhibits, and a yearly image contest and supplies . We hope to motivate newcomers to become involved in holography and encourage those who are already making holograms to let their images shine in public.”
www.holosource.com

hope I will be able to carry on in that capacity here your servant Danny Bee ;)
Jem

holographyforum.org

Post by Jem »

I guess any forum that gets access to, and publishes, all the posts from the original Holographyforum.org will be the ultimate winner in the popularity stakes. I figure that will ultimately be Colin's decision...

Just sayin' ;)
Colin Kaminski

holographyforum.org

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I should have a locked archive up and running in a couple of weeks. I have a few offers of hosting now.
a_k

holographyforum.org

Post by a_k »

Hello Colin

In the holographyforum i was reading postings from the locked section quite frequently and i was very happy that it was possible to access them easily without having to look for them at some other site.

If you think that it would make sense to have the locked up version of the forum to show in this forum, like the network54 postings in the holographyforum, i would be happy to create a similar subforum here and to insert the previous postings to keep everything together.

I would love to hear what the other members are thinking about an integration of old postings and i would appreciate to learn your thoughts too.

Ahmet

P.S. Do you still have access to your email at colin@holographyforum.org or is there a better way to reach you?
Colin Kaminski

holographyforum.org

Post by Colin Kaminski »

colink at designerinlight dot com is the best address.

I have some ideas for the archive that I will share shortly.
dannybee

holographyforum.org

Post by dannybee »

dannybee wrote:After counseling with my friends I have decided to close the forum on holosource.org and keep the Holosource for contest, info, and supplies, it was founded on Tuesday, 24 November 2009

“Our purpose at Holosource.org is to promote the survival, enjoyment and spread of holography for art and other purposes. We will do so by teaching and display of holography through classes, a travelling gallery, special exhibits, and a yearly image contest and supplies . We hope to motivate newcomers to become involved in holography and encourage those who are already making holograms to let their images shine in public.”
http://www.holosource.com

hope I will be able to carry on in that capacity here your servant Danny Bee ;)
hum mm I maybe really need to wait and see what happens before I hastily close the forum I’m getting a few in encouraging me to leave it open…. I don’t what to cause dissention either….I don’t know what to do….I love serving others with my gifts and talents and mine time and once I’m on a project I put all my efforts into it. I will have to ponder on this one, you thoughts and comments are welcome.
hadmin

holographyforum.org

Post by hadmin »

Colin, the above email address seems not to be active. Mails are bouncing back.