2007 holography contest .......

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I think the way to limit the time of a holograms creation is by proper selection of subjects. For instance a dog is very broad and we probably all have shoot something like it. Hoever if we pick "Terror", "Time and Space" or something less concrete I think we all will need to make a new hologram. I have some ideas about that.

Since there was no way to porve that a hologram was created in the time frame we had to leave it open to all. Now if we require a newspaper in there or something we have other options.

Until there are more entries I think there should only be one contest per year.

As far as scoring I think a very specific scoring system needs to be in place.

i.e. for a possible of 100 points:

10 Processing

20 Technical Difficulty

20 Subject Matter

50 Overall impression/Artistic Merit
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Tony wrote:Also, the copyright vs original question needs to be answered.
What was the question?
Tony wrote:I vote original works only, i.e. no part of the subject matter can be stamped with (c) anywhere.

What goal would be satisfied by this rule? Should it be a requirement that every entrant also be a model-maker?

If you use *any* object created by someone else, in the USA it's automatically covered by copyright unless the owner explicitly gives it up.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Maybe I should explain further what I'm driving at. For two years, I was in my 'Disney' phase, where I was making holograms of small scultpures of Disney characters. While these are technically good holograms, they are not original works of art, any more than a photograph of a Disney character is original to the photographer.

The ultimate goal of display holography is to create works of art, that are desirable to view, appreciate, and purchase. As such, anything that is copyright by someone else can't be sold, without prior arrangement, paying royalties, etc.

While I'm sure I'm no where near this, I do often have day dreams of creating original holograms which have enough value that I could sell them. I'm sure many of us have similar delusions. For this to become anything more solid than a dream, the holograms considered have to be wholely original.

That's why I think that, given I'm not a sculptor, the collaboration of a holographer and a sculptor would be a great partnership.

Therefore I claim that as far as the contest is concerned, any hologram that contains copyright material, like Disney characters etc, can be a technically wonderful hologram, but can't qualify as 'art' because it is not original and can't be sold. This includes at least 7 of the 9 contest entries (one of them mine - the dog has a (c) for a navel).

The contest should have two categories, one for copyright material, and another for wholely original material.

Those who sculpt their own entries by hand should not have to compete against the 'cute' factor of widely recognizable cartoon characters.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

I personally don't care what everyone decides on for the next contest. It's all good and will be fun.

But I am unsure why it is not apparent that the most logical way of voting is to do it at the next meeting? That way more then one judge can view all the holograms in person at the same time. I can't think of another efficient way to bring all the holograms together in one place and have more then one judge there. We have concluded that is it better to see a hologram in person then with a photo, and we have stated state that it should be more then one judge.... SO???
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Tony wrote:That's why I think that, given I'm not a sculptor, the collaboration of a holographer and a sculptor would be a great partnership.
Anyone can be a sculptor. It's as simple as shaping a piece of material with your hands.

Say for example you pour a small plaster cast in the shape of a cube. This involves mixing some plaster in water and pouring it into a container. Then take the casting out of the mold and let it dry. Sand it down so that it's a nice, clean cube of white plaster. Then make a hologram of it.

To me, this would be more interesting than 90% of the holograms I see, because holographers who make their own sculpture are the exception rather than the rule.

Now to take your cube a step further. Say that you want the cube to look 5 inches deep, but you only have 3 inches of holographic depth to work with. So you make an angled cube, with the four sides converging towards a vanishing point. When seen from the front, your angled cube will look like it's 5 inches deep, but in reality it's only 3. You've just applied the technique of forced perspective. To me, this hologram would be more interesting than 99% of the holograms I see, because you've "tailored" your sculpture to the holographic medium with gusto.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

ok its getting close to THAT time again. are we going to have a contest this year? im sure the "Lets talk holography" group could have a prize to donate ........
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Yeah, Michael has asked as well. Lets do it! I will fund the shipping from my house to all of the judges. The judges are not allowed to enter. Each hologram will be judged on a point scale (100 points for different qualities to be announced.) There will be two catagories. 4x5 and under and 4x5 and larger.

Each hologram must be made to a theme which will be announced at the beginning of the contest. This should make sure that all holograms are created specifically for the contest.

I am hoping I can get Jeff, Kaveh and myself to judge as we make the fewest art holograms and I don't think any of us want to enter. Are there any other potential judges?

Michael, Jeff and Kaveh; what are your thoughts?
Kaveh

Post by Kaveh »

Colin Kaminski wrote:Michael, Jeff and Kaveh; what are your thoughts?

Happy to be involved. Hmmm, the power to judge people. :-)
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Did you mean to say that 4x5's can enter in both categories?

So the general idea is we'd ship to you, you'd judge and send off the holograms to the next judge?

I'm game. I just hope I can get my green problems worked out by the deadline.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

No, I meant to say that 4x5 is the small catagory and anything larger is the large catagory. I woke up in the middle of the night trying to remember if I said that right...