preparation of photosensitive coatings for Lippmann photogra

This is a forum exploring Lippmann photography.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

This is a good idea, principally if the spay is economical, however "modern" liquid metal materials are self removable and would not scratch or swell the extreme fragile 1um thin Lippmann volume with a pre-development?

Ideally for Lippmann production is necessary a self removable strip metallized film in contact that can be developed even before remove it, only with light and a post process image enhancement without distort the fringes.
laywomen

Post by laywomen »

Hello everyone,
thanks a lot for all your hints and discussions - we do appreciate it!
Unfortunately, we don't have time to continue our Lippmann experiments. Nevertheless, we are still interested in this topic and we hope that we can go on with practical experiments in the near future. So far, we will be active readers :wink:

Sarah and Kira
alban

Post by alban »

Could someone please copy the Crawford paper/booklet into the section entitled "Lippmann papers" (http://holowiki.org/index.php/Lippmann_Papers) or send me a copy by e-mail?

Thanks, Alban
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I don't have a copy. If someone sends it to me I will post it.
hansholo

Post by hansholo »

The Crawford's emulsion does not work for Lippmann photographs. The grains are too large. You need ultra-fine-grain emulsions, such as the type of emulsion Darran Green makes. You need specialdevelopers such as the Lumiere pyrogallol developer or GP2 or GP8 Russian developers.

An aluminium mirror does not work as a reflector. The mirror gets a coating of AL-oxide on top of it, which makes the distance between the emulsion surface and the reflecting layer too large to create interference fringes. But you don't need any mirror, use the air reflection instead. Air is in perfect contact with the emulsion and the Fresnel refflection is enough to produce beautiful Lippmann photographs as demonstrated by me and Darran Green. The emulsion needs to be in a dark slide, facing away from the camera lens and where the inside of the dark slide is covered with light-absorbing black material. Certainly no mercury is needed. It is only complicated and not very safe to use.