Microholograms in photopolymer for data storage

This is a forum exploring Lippmann photography.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Balanced homodyne detection of Bragg microholograms in photopolymer for data storage

Frédéric Guattari, Guillaume Maire, Kevin Contreras, Carole Arnaud, Gilles Pauliat, Gérald Roosen, Safi Jradi, and Christiane Carré

Optics Express, Vol. 15, Issue 5, pp. 2234-2243

Abstract

Wavelength multiplexed holographic bit oriented memories are serious competitors for high capacity data storage systems. For data recording, two interfering beams are required whereas one of them should be blocked for readout in previously proposed systems. This makes the system complex. To circumvent this difficulty and make the device simpler, we validated an architecture for such memories in which the same two beams are used for recording and reading out. This balanced homodyne scheme is validated by recording holograms in a Lippmann architecture.

Full text:

http://www.opticsexpress.org/viewmedia. ... 0577&seq=0
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

This is interesting!

Remember me the Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD), with a more specialized recording, although not without problems: the photopolymer used in liquid state at the thickness (160um) isn't stable and need a preexposure.

" The Lippmann sample is shown in Fig. 3. The hologram is recorded by
photopolymerization. This photopolymerizable layer is a solvent-free mixture of a
photoinitiator (Eosin Y), of an amine as a cosensitizer (N-methyl diethanolamine) and of a
liquid monomer base (pentaerythritol triacrylate). It is embedded between two glass plates, a
substrate and a superstrate. Its thickness, 160 ± 5 μm , is defined by metallic spacers. The"

I found that the viscosity necessary for this stable photopolymerization in reflection schemme is high, more than 5000 cps, and dry photopolymer coating isn't a easy task for mass production, but the future is optimistic due the not so high efficiency necessary for recoding, since we have an electronic signal amplification here.

I wonder if this technique is already patented? Also would be interesting the people of HVD alliance adapt it (together with a more efficient photopolymer!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Sergio, my work has me studying Organic Chemistry. I am starting to understand your posts better. :) Thank you!
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Colin Kaminski wrote:Sergio, my work has me studying Organic Chemistry. I am starting to understand your posts better. :) Thank you!

Great! I wonder if there are around an Organic Beer Chemistry course, I guess with wine there are specialized University courses that are part of graduate, principally in Europe. As for photopolymers would be interesting update the Wiki with the modern photopolymer state of art technique.There are interesting technologies around.