Presentation of the possibilities of Lippmann photographs

This is a forum exploring Lippmann photography.
Sogokon'A

Post by Sogokon'A »

Martin wrote
Incidentally, it might indicate that Lippmann photography has been practiced much more widely than previously expected.

I agree, and as the confirmation I want to present some my results, obtained during 1981-1995:

- A posteriori image processing (formation of equidensities, the construction of density profiles, the filtration of noise)

- Application in the microscopy

- The analysis of the X-ray photographs

- Application in astrophysics, in particular, direct obtaining of the Lippmann photograph of the solar disk

- And, naturally, the artistic images

Make this I will be gradual, since many materials must be transferred to the digital carriers and translated to the English.

This is announcement.

Aleksandr
Sogokon'A

Post by Sogokon'A »

In 1910 N.A.Shilov said: "Lippmann method, probably, it will forever remain only to the highest degree interesting physical experience, in which the light beam itself writes its way in the photographic emulsion, and then itself reproduces this way ". The second part of this statement can be considered as the poetic determination of holography. That fact causes regret, that further this matter it did not go.

And here that the first part of this statement has not turned to a gloomy prophecy, I have begun search of practical applications of a Lippmann photography with 1981. . In a year, at the conference on the holography in the city Yerevan (capital of Armenia), I demonstrated slides to its report, which were executed by Lippmann method. Is given below the photo of Lippmann photograph, obtained from the black and white negative (24x36mm) so, as it is described in the article http://www.holographyforum.org/HoloWiki ... in_Article .

Exposure was accomplished by emission of mercury-vapor lamp.

Lippmann photograph with the size of 9x12sm with the illumination by the light of incandescent lamp.

The same photograph with the illumination by the scattered light of cloudless sky.

Aleksandr
Martin

Post by Martin »

Sogokon'A wrote:In 1910 N.A.Shilov said: "Lippmann method, probably, it will forever remain only to the highest degree interesting physical experience, in which the light beam itself writes its way in the photographic emulsion, and then itself reproduces this way ". The second part of this statement can be considered as the poetic determination of holography. That fact causes regret, that further this matter it did not go.
And here that the first part of this statement has not turned to a gloomy prophecy, I have begun search of practical applications of a Lippmann photography with 1981. . In a year, at the conference on the holography in the city Yerevan (capital of Armenia), I demonstrated slides to its report, which were executed by Lippmann method. Is given below the photo of Lippmann photograph, obtained from the black and white negative (24x36mm) so, as it is described in the article http://www.holographyforum.org/HoloWiki ... in_Article .

Exposure was accomplished by emission of mercury-vapor lamp.
Lippmann photograph with the size of 9x12sm with the illumination by the light of incandescent lamp.

The same photograph with the illumination by the scattered light of cloudless sky.

Aleksandr

The photographs look gorgeous!

Who was N.A. Shilov?
Sogokon'A

Post by Sogokon'A »

Martin wrote

Who was N.A. Shilov?

Thanks for support. I hope to see and your pictures obtained on your photopolymeric layers. However, such "trick" as with DCG there do not pass, but it is possible others try.

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Shilov (1872-1930) taught analytical chemistry in Moscow University. Worked in the field of physical chemistry, in particular, photographic processes. Has created the theory of the connected chemical reactions on the basis of which has explained the mechanism of interaction of developing substance with sulphite of sodium.

We continue presentation.

Below photos of blood cells – erythrocytes are presented. The picture 1 is obtained by: the classical way: with the use of a method of the phase contrast (another name - a method of a dark field). The others – by photographing the Lippmann’s images through the interference filters. If I had some idea about the internal structure of erythrocytes, that this photographs me would help.

Martin

Post by Martin »

Sogokon'A wrote:Martin wrote

Who was N.A. Shilov?
Thanks for support. I hope to see and your pictures obtained on your photopolymeric layers. However, such "trick" as with DCG there do not pass, but it is possible others try.

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Shilov (1872-1930) taught analytical chemistry in Moscow University. Worked in the field of physical chemistry, in particular, photographic processes. Has created the theory of the connected chemical reactions on the basis of which has explained the mechanism of interaction of developing substance with sulphite of sodium.

We continue presentation.
Below photos of blood cells – erythrocytes are presented. The picture 1 is obtained by: the classical way: with the use of a method of the phase contrast (another name - a method of a dark field). The others – by photographing the Lippmann’s images through the interference filters. If I had some idea about the internal structure of erythrocytes, that this photographs me would help.

Very interesting pictures.Thanks for the information about Shilov.

We hope to resume our Lippmann tests soon...
Sogokon'A

Post by Sogokon'A »

Lippmann’s image can be examined not only through the interference filters, but also through the spectroscopic instrumentations.

Planetary disc Jupiter on the initial astro-negative had a diameter of approximately 6 mm. The increased Lippmann’s image had a diameter of approximately 65 mm. The height of spectrograph slit was 20 mm. Therefore section throughout line ab is comprised of four spectrograms. Spectrogram is density profile along line ab.

With the aid of the computer to now obtain this profile does not compose labor.

But this it was 1985. Then computers only "learned to read and to write".

Sogokon'A

Post by Sogokon'A »

Excuse, the Jupiter has turned out too gloomy. So it will be better.

Sogokon'A

Post by Sogokon'A »

After successful experiment with erythrocytes I left for histology department of biologic faculty of Kharkov University. A strange creature boiled in paraffin was just being cut in thinnest layers in one of the laboratories. I could remember only one word from its long name – “molluscum”. They showed me the examples chosen for scientific experiments and how they are prepared. I also had possibility to look at them in microscope. Unfortunately I couldn’t see them clearly without phase contrast. From the conversation with colleagues of the department I realized that histological shears are perfectly suitable for its study by method of Lippman’s photography. First, the majority of dyes used have an absorption band in the blue-green region of the spectrum (spectrum of sensitivity DCG it is located in 330-530nm region). Second, biological tissues absorb the UV-rays. Therefore, using of mercury-vapor lamp (365nm, 405nm, 436nm) to obtain enlarged Lippmann’s images allows subtle differentiation of structural elements of histological shear. Being sure that my experiment will be successful, and this is not interesting for me, I went to "extreme measures". I asked to make especially for me a dewaxed, unpainted shear of this mollusk covered with immersion glue. It surprised much the colleagues as it is impossible to see something on such model. Actually, absolutely transparent glass fragment came out, on which it was possible to note only a "play of light" on a difference in the refractive indices. Briefly, phase object. Having made without any enthusiasm photos of transverse shear of medical leech and larvas of anodonta (glokhidiy) I was waiting with impatience for the results of shooting of the phase form of mollusk expecting negative results of experiment. But when we saw its golden-red shining in the bath with 100% IPA all doubts left away.

Thus,

- Lippmann’s registration mode of phase objects images on DCG layers leads to visualization of these objects, t.e. performing function of the phase contrast microscope

- Lippmann’s registration of amplitude-phase objects (such as painted histological shear) strengthens dyes action and "takes out" the phase information

- Lippmann’s photo is a document that can be subjected to further optical processing (see the previous and subsequent messages)

- Lippmann’s photo is something like a piece of art that you can show without shame to students (if you are professor) or to professors (if you are student).

http://syneko.narod.ru/molluscum.jpg

http://syneko.narod.ru/ANODONT.JPG

http://syneko.narod.ru/LEECH.JPG
Martin

Post by Martin »

Sogokon'A wrote:After successful experiment with erythrocytes I left for histology department of biologic faculty of Kharkov University. A strange creature boiled in paraffin was just being cut in thinnest layers in one of the laboratories. I could remember only one word from its long name – “molluscum”. They showed me the examples chosen for scientific experiments and how they are prepared. I also had possibility to look at them in microscope. Unfortunately I couldn’t see them clearly without phase contrast. From the conversation with colleagues of the department I realized that histological shears are perfectly suitable for its study by method of Lippman’s photography. First, the majority of dyes used have an absorption band in the blue-green region of the spectrum (spectrum of sensitivity DCG it is located in 330-530nm region). Second, biological tissues absorb the UV-rays. Therefore, using of mercury-vapor lamp (365nm, 405nm, 436nm) to obtain enlarged Lippmann’s images allows subtle differentiation of structural elements of histological shear. Being sure that my experiment will be successful, and this is not interesting for me, I went to "extreme measures". I asked to make especially for me a dewaxed, unpainted shear of this mollusk covered with immersion glue. It surprised much the colleagues as it is impossible to see something on such model. Actually, absolutely transparent glass fragment came out, on which it was possible to note only a "play of light" on a difference in the refractive indices. Briefly, phase object. Having made without any enthusiasm photos of transverse shear of medical leech and larvas of anodonta (glokhidiy) I was waiting with impatience for the results of shooting of the phase form of mollusk expecting negative results of experiment. But when we saw its golden-red shining in the bath with 100% IPA all doubts left away.
Thus,
- Lippmann’s registration mode of phase objects images on DCG layers leads to visualization of these objects, t.e. performing function of the phase contrast microscope
- Lippmann’s registration of amplitude-phase objects (such as painted histological shear) strengthens dyes action and "takes out" the phase information
- Lippmann’s photo is a document that can be subjected to further optical processing (see the previous and subsequent messages)
- Lippmann’s photo is something like a piece of art that you can show without shame to students (if you are professor) or to professors (if you are student).
http://syneko.narod.ru/molluscum.jpg
http://syneko.narod.ru/ANODONT.JPG
http://syneko.narod.ru/LEECH.JPG

What dyes would that be?

By the way, not all browsers seem to show your pictures...
Sogokon'A

Post by Sogokon'A »

I do not know.