Just some observations and tidbits

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I am using a BIG overhead collimator and one of the consequences not forseen by me was the fact that it picks up stray, trashlight from everywhere. So, my last shot was a split beam reflection and as I was loading the film I noticed a very, very faint glow from my object but I went ahead and shot it anyway. What had happened was trash light from the laser was bouncing off of the back wall some total length of about 30 feet. I let the film settle for about 10 minutes and proceeded with the shot.
After developing I got a great double exposure from the main intended shot as well as an almost as bright trash light exposure!
So the morals of my story are , if using an overhead collimator of large size, pay extra attention to any light anywhere in the vicinity.
Also, these little Coherent 315's have loooooong coherence lengths!
The up side is I apparently have a stable system and great coherency.

Lastly I could not find Sorbitol easily and quickly but my wife had some Xylitol in the pantry so I used it in place of sorbitol and it behaves identically, (the molecules are almost identical) and Xylitol is apparently available at health food stores. (Used for color-shifting, post-swelling Slavich film).
Now, on to Trans. masters!
Bruce
danny bruza

Post by danny bruza »

whats that
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the Xylitol tip - I looked for Sorbitol a while ago without success, mybe Xylitol will be easier to find. For long-term archival of post swelled holograms, it might even be a better choice than Sorbitol, since Xylitol seems to be less delicious for bacteria. Some info here: http://xylitol.org/drmakinen.asp
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

10 % solution, 50 secs with a touch of photo-flo mixed in gave me a nice amber shift from 532 nm.