if you had 1 milion $ grant...for holography...what would yo

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Danny brurza

Post by Danny brurza »

and what would you do to advance holography for public
Mark Cavin

Post by Mark Cavin »

Have you ever seen that famous high speed picture of the apple having its happy day obliterated by a riffle bullet? I would like to capture that same moment in a hologram and other fast events too. If someone was fool enough to give me a million dollars I would invest in guns, apples and big powerful lasers.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

" I would like to capture that same moment in a hologram and other fast events too."
It's been done - sort of. Leo Heflinger et al at TRW did it sometime in the late sixties. Actually, it's supposed to be an example of what you can do with pulse lasers, but I had my suspicions. I did a quick calculation on the maximum allowable movement with a pulse laser and found it to be about a few ft/sec, certainly not the 720 odd ft/sec of a bullet! I figured it had to be a shadowgram. I later met someone who worked with Heflinger and asked him to ask Heflinger whether or not it really was a pulse. It turned out that it was a shadowgram.

Greg G

Post by Greg G »

High speed holography is one of the more fascinating ( for me ) subjects that hasn't seen a lot of work other than portraiture. I've always wanted to re-visit Harold Edgerton's work holographically and lust after the studio setup at Laser Reflections. Being able to stop time and also fold space has a lot of appeal for me as a physicist. I'd happily part with a big chunk of that million for a fast pulse visible laser.

Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

When I was about thirteen I made a cloud chamber. It was absolutely fascinating seeing the cosmic ray tracks but they didn't last long enough to see them, you just got a fleeting glimpse of a white line. When I first heard of holography, my first thought was 3D pictures of particle tracks. In the 70's when I was a student, the buzz was the Higgs boson and, my own professor's (Salaam's) infatuation - proton decay. The three labs working on it had these gi-hugic detector system buried in mines but I'd have loved to see a hologram embedded inside a taking holograms of the particle tracks. My feeling was that it'd been much easier for particle identification if you could see the curvature in both dimensions.
Greg G

Post by Greg G »

I did the same experiment when I was a kid.. Very cool and enlightening.. I've visited a friend at SLAC a few times and looked at their huge collections of tracks.. A 3D display would be a beautifully intuitive way to analyze those.