polishing film holograms

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Vidar Hegdal

polishing film holograms

Post by Vidar Hegdal »

Friends,
Unless a film hologram is protected by glass the film will collect tiny scratches. Does anyone have a good method for polishing the film back to original smoothness?
Colin Kaminski

polishing film holograms

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I have not had to restore a hologram yet. Of course you are talking about the uncoated side as there is no way to fix the emultion. I have had to polish plastic quite a bit and I use a product called micromesh. It is a very finely graded sandpaper on a ruberized cloth backing. I get mine from Stewert McDonald Guitar Supply. But any aircraft mechanic or lutherie supply (violin and guitar makers) should carry it.

The kit comes with about 10 grits from 1500 to 10,000. It was designed to polish plastic windshield for aircraft.

To use this product on a hologram it would be very important to support the hologram. Perhaps you could glue the back to a glass plate. I have been using micromesh for more than 10 years so if there is any thing else I can answer about it let me know.

Tom B.

polishing film holograms

Post by Tom B. »

I haven't tried it yet, but this non-abrasive product looks like it might work well for fine scratches:

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html

A number of auto and aircraft maintenance sites recommend and sell this for plastic windshields etc.
I would be interested in any reports pro or con.