Index matching final image plane x-missions

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Vidar Hegdal

Post by Vidar Hegdal »

Friends,
I have made a few image plane x-missions and the only way to display them is to mount them to mirrors in a frame. As long as the hologram is not more than 2-3 deep they look really great. However, they look much better if some kind of index matching fluid is used between the mirror and hologram. ( have a look at the Gun on my homepage http://www.techsoft.no/holography). However, the oil seems to evaporate after a few months even if the edges are sealed carefully with tape or epoxy glue. Does anyone have a good stable way of sealing the edges?
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

I wonder if the oil could be slowly diffusing through the acetate film base and evaporating off the surface? Maybe a fluid made up of bigger molecules would help, or you could try an optical adhesive like Norland's- you might not need to UV cure it in this application if concerned about printout - it might slowly self-cure from stray UV.
Sergio Oliveira

Post by Sergio Oliveira »

HI,

Perhaps a low cost no solvent index matching could do the job, a optical grade low viscosity epoxy resin UV curable have the necessary transparence an will cure in minutes, not so rapid as Norland but will cure rock solid, will not crack and even better, it spreads between glass plates easily.
Thilo K.

Post by Thilo K. »

Sounds interesting and... do you know how to remove the fluid after use ?
Sergio Oliveira

OOps! This permanent cured epoxy resin, made for years..
Martin

Post by Martin »

Please, tell me more about that epoxy stuff.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Other than thorelabs who carries the Noland line there are other suppliers.

http://www.aitechnology.com/coating.html

part eg 3255

is an interesting product. I have not used it only passed by the web site.

Most of the fiberoptic suppliers have optical cements. From their websites it is possible to research the brand names of the suppliers.

Sergio Oliveira

Mainly, the epoxy resin is a blend of transparent, low viscosity UV cured epoxy formulation especially for good spread between plates. The refractive index could be adjusted and the cost is low compared to other acrylate products.The glass adhesion is very high, the system could be useful in index matching holographic plates or mirrors.

I have too formulations based in acrylates as "Norland" adhesives at more economical rates, let me know if you are interested.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Could the epoxy system also be cured without UV treatment? Sometimes, UV exposure promotes darkening of the layer. Hence it would be interesting to have a system that polymerizes through heat...
Sergio Oliveira

Good question, for non- UV curing the heat temperature needs be more than 140 C, alternatively, the system could use blue sensitive molecules that polymerizes quite well the epoxy.

Alternatively the acrylate formula could be cured under ordinary fluorescent ligh, this "Norland" adhesive does not use UV light, and have the same quality.