Green Laser Pointer Holography?

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I just purchased a green laser pointer from Beam of Light Technologies. It is a BTG-1. I have not had much time to test it but I have been able to get fringes in the interfermeter. I was set to a path length difference of 12 inches. I had a lot of temperature induced fringe drift.

Perhaps I will be able to make a green laser pointer hologram soon!

Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Can anyone tell me anything about PFG-03C? I have never used it. The film is likely quite old but has been refrigerated since I got it.

Here is the development from the Slavich web site. Are there other developers used with this film?

Formalin 37% 10ml
Potassium Bromide 2g
Sodium Carbonate 5g
Water to 1L
Washing:1-2mins

Wash in running (filtered) water.

Development VRP:
4 - 5 mins

Concentrated solution .
Sodium Sulphite (Andydrous) 194g
Hydoquinone 25g
Potassium Hydoxide 22g
Methyl Phenidone 1.5g
Potassium Bromide 20g
Potassium Metaborate 140g
1,2,3-Benzotriazole 0.1g
Distilled Water to 1L
Work Sol.: 1 part of VRP developer + 6 parts water.

Bleach in PBU-Amidol:
5 - 8 mins

Copper Bromide 1g
Potassium Persulphate 10g
Citric Acid 50g
Potassium Bromide 20g
Distilled Water to 1L
Amidol 1g

Stop Bath: 2 mins

Acetic Acid 20g
Water to 1L

Bathing :2 mins

Bathing in distilled water with added wetting agent

Drying

Drying in normal conditions.

Martin Mueller

Post by Martin Mueller »

VRP developer (in combination with a copper bleach) worked very well also with HRT, 8E75, SP-673, PFG-01...

Regarding development of PFG-03C, there is an interesting hybrid processing method by Markov (SPIE 3294). It deals with a rather active colloidal development, followed by a iodine bleach.

Developer

Part A
Hydroquinone...............5.0g
Methylphenidone............0.2g
Sodium sulfite...........100.0g
Water.................add to 1L

Part B
Sodium phosphate.......200.0g/L

Part C
Potassium thiocyanate...40.0g/L

Working solution:
40ml part A + 10ml part B + 10ml part C + 340ml water.
Development time: 8 - 10 min. at 16 - 18°C.

Iodine bleach

Iodine.....................10.0g
Potassium iodide............1.0g
Ethyl alcohol..............750ml
Water......................250ml

Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I dis-assembled my green laser pointer and mounted into a mount for my bench. Now I am able to insert it into the interferometer without disturbing my more important testing. I changed the path length difference from 12 inches to 11 inches slowly and was not able to find a place where the fringes disapear.

Someone suggested that I was measuring the n-mode of a short coherence length (less than 3mm). I don't believe this to be true. I think I can get this little thing to make a hologram. I have to buy some developer first but I am going to make a heat sink and give it a try.
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

Sounds good! I often wonder why we can make good holograms with lasers that armchair theorists dismiss as unusable. What will you be using for green sensitive film? I guess you'll have to find a different safelight, too.
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

It's not clear from the Slavich specs, but my uninformed guess is that PFG-03C is generally the same emulsion as PFG-03M, except that different sensitizers are used. In which case the JD-4 metol/ascorbic developer and copper bleach might work. I think the formalin hardening step before development (or even before exposure) would still be needed. Or you could try Alum / acetic acid for hardening.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I will use the pfg-03C. I have some and this is the only laser I have that is not red. I will probably just work without a safe light. If I was going to make lots of exposures I would have to sort something out.
Martin Mueller

Post by Martin Mueller »

"It's not clear from the Slavich specs, but my uninformed guess is that PFG-03C is generally the same emulsion as PFG-03M, except that different sensitizers are used."

Proably true though using different dyes might also affect the emulsion. This could be the reason why PFG-03C is said to have smaller grains than PFG-03M...

"In which case the JD-4 metol/ascorbic developer and copper bleach might work. I think the formalin hardening step before development (or even before exposure) would still be needed."

I agree the softness of PFG-03 creates some problems. Though JD-4 is said to slightly harden the emulsion, I would also expect there will be need for further hardening. The pre-hardening step being somewhat messy, we may look for hardening development. Readapting CW-C2 would be an option...