coherent 215m remote head 30 mw

New Products as well as used products. Please list your un-needed equipment here so we can keep it in the family.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

heres another boxed version, this time ive got the head on a nice long ten foot cable , so its user friendly as power supply and controller are located well away from the table. Bench tested and putting out 32 mw this unit will make many holograms in it's future .............. i want $500 plus shipping for this little guy !
Ps this housing also works with the 315 version with an added fan, (now if i could only find a new 315!).
Attachments
215-30a.JPG
215-30a.JPG (219.75 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
215-30b.JPG
215-30b.JPG (203.68 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Hi Dave,
I prefer the Liconix version but this looks good. I am a little concerned about lifetime; is this a 20 mW spec head or a 10 mW spec? If a 20 mW no worries but if a 10 mW what is the lifetime at 30 mW? My guess is at least 5K hours so maybe for home holography that is fine. But 300% power? Hmmm. Don't get me wrong; I think these are great lasers and the first one was so nice I sent pics to top level guys at Coherent- the worlds best laser company.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

142laser wrote:Hi Dave,
I prefer the Liconix version but this looks good. I am a little concerned about lifetime; is this a 20 mW spec head or a 10 mW spec? If a 20 mW no worries but if a 10 mW what is the lifetime at 30 mW? My guess is at least 5K hours so maybe for home holography that is fine. But 300% power? Hmmm. Don't get me wrong; I think these are great lasers and the first one was so nice I sent pics to top level guys at Coherent- the worlds best laser company.

no worries here phil as these are labled as 215 units only with out a specfic mw call out like -10 or -20, so according to the nice techie at Coherent they are basically all the same for these lower power units.you are quite correct about the higher the power the quicker the burnout happens, this is why i am now including a user friendly dongel to easly turn the power up and down with out needing a screwdriver to adjust it (using a dial pot) if used correctally the lasers will last a long time........
these lasers dont need the long run warmup time like the good ol hene's or argon's did, with just a few min. warmup time, turn up the power pot and wait for the stablize led to come on (60 seconds)and shoot exposuer, total time is less than a few mins.
done with this procedure this unit will last a long time. if i had done this with my 315 laser it would stll be putting out 100 mw instead of 65 mw now! :wall:
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Hey Dave,
I agree that is a good idea! Align at 10 mW and then when the scene is set crank it up, measure the light and shoot! Then back down to 10 mW or less. They do only take a couple minutes to stabilize thd thrgger ready so big deal. Now set at 34 mW all the time will significantly reduce lifetime...5K hours Vs 20K hours? So what. :) 5000 hours is alot of holo time. Regarding your 315M; send it to Sam and let him check it out and ajdust it. Do you know about 315M loss of power syndrome? There is a cure. :)
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

Okay, what is the cure?
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Check out Sam's Laser FAQ on this. There is a photodiode sensitivity pot. The PD beamsplitter for some reasom accumuleates a film and the scatter fools the laser into thinking the power is much higher. Why this one optic does that "nobody knows". Sam called this 315M loss of power syndrome. Over a few hundred hours the power should not drop much. Maybe it is just an adjustment issue.