Coherent Sapphire 488-200 OPSL Laser

New Products as well as used products. Please list your un-needed equipment here so we can keep it in the family.
danielbriggs

Post by danielbriggs »

Hi all,
I know I'm new to this place, but I have a laser for sale that thought may be of interest / relevant to holographers.
I do know Jem, so I'm not a complete stranger :wink:

For sale is a fine Coherent Sapphire 488-200 OPSL laser.

Ideal for many purposes, including holography.

It includes everything you need to get going:
  • Laser Head (488-200 Rated at 200mW)
    Power Supply (110-240V)
    Blower (110V only)
    All cables and connectors
    PC Control Software
    Printed manual
    Engineers installation report
    2x Control Dongles for the laser power supply
    A 200W UK -> USA power converter (not included if shipping to US. Not much point sending it, and quite heavy!)
The date of the laser system is June 29th 2007
And the EEPROM reads that the laser head has seen 940 hours. These units have been reported to last for 10,000-15,000 hours on average.
The engineers installation report states the laser outputted 206mW when first configured.

The Coherent laser head is packaged inside a plastic housing as it was badged an Lyt200s for use in a flow Cytometry machine.

I've used this laser for approximately 1-2 hours to have a tinker with, however using the PC software, I can't work out how to make the laser output more than 70-80mW. Perhaps there is a potentiometer on the power supply board to change this.

I am willing to post worldwide, however with all the parts this system is quite heavy, so please ask for a postage estimate. Buyer is responsible for all related postage/customs/import fees and duties.

Payment is to be made by cash (on collection) or PayPal (buyer pays extra for fees) or online bank transfer.

Open to all cash offers...
Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers,
Dan :)

Here are some pictures of the system:

holo_cyware

Post by holo_cyware »

Wow - gulp - (swallowing my saliva, the desk being all drooled) - what a laser! Many here would give a hand for it. Basically an Argon in a small package. A DCG dream!

You'd better put a price you'd expect to know what we are dealing with.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Do you know the coherence length?
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

If you will notice besides Coherent's trade mark on this device it also says iCyt, which is a Champaign, Illinois based company, where my son used to work, thanks to my friend Don Barnhart, an old school holographer. (Nepotism can be a good thing!) They make quarter million dollar cell-sorting machines, and the laser is one of the key components, plus they sell the lasers separately.

So I was visiting them a while ago, and I brought down my scanning Fabry Perot Spectrum Analyzer, and it indicated single longitudinal mode operation. So the coherence is like an etalon equipped Argon.

I could put the laser in my backpack, but the power supply wouldn't fit! (Just kidding!) But I would really like to pick up one of these 488 nm emitters, as we spread out its beam and overlapped it with a spread out He-Ne, and got a decent white! Check out the path connecting 488 and 633 on a CIE chart, and it passes smack dab through the white zone! So one could make a good holographic rendering of an American flag with this thing!

I don't remember what they said these were going for new, I just knew it was out of my reach, like a year or two of mortgage payments, but I would consider buying it if it were <$1.5k!
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Hi Ed and everyone else also,
Beware...not all Coherent Sapphire's are SLM like the one you che :shifty: cked. I have a 488-20 that has 4-5 modes like a blue HeNe would be. Martin Muschol down the hall has the identical laser and is is pure SLM. Originaly Coherent did spacify SLM for Sapphire LP (low power) heads but they quietly dropped the SLM spec after they realized they could not make them all SLM and were not about to scrap half the lasers after they were done either. This is a HP (high power) platform and they were never specified to be SLM but many probably are. Best to all, Phil