FS: Coherent D3 430-10 Laser System

New Products as well as used products. Please list your un-needed equipment here so we can keep it in the family.
Laser Ben

Post by Laser Ben »

Hey All,

I am trying to sell my Coherent D3 430nm laser system for the last time. I tried selling it about a year ago and everyone of the buyers didn't pay or paid then filed a dispute a day later...

This system is a great laser that was made for IBM. What for, I have no idea. It does work, but here's the catch, it works when it feels like it, sometimes it will work and sometimes not. I can have it sit on a table and try turning it on or off 10 times and it will come on once and stay stable anywhere between 8 and 12mW. This leads me to believe that it is a problem with the electronics on the laser and not the optical train.

The laser has amazing stability when it does come on and the beam profile is equally amazing! Attached are some pictures.

Again, I really don't know what a 10mW 430nm laser system is worth to you guys. It is set for holography, has a very long coherence length and stability. Make me an offer I can't refuse!

Thanks,

Ben S
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Hi Ben,
Ah the D3 again...:) Too bad this prototype if flaky; you are right that they were cool lasers. This is a direst doubled diode laser (hence the D3 name for Direct Doubled Diode) Coherent regarded these as a failed product and they were designed for disk mastering movies such as Toy Story. They have been replaced and are now obsolete and no longer serviced or supported by Coherent. Worse yet all adjustments are still considered proprietary. And they are VERY complicated using a ~30 mW 860 nm diode with an impedance matched doubling cavity; lots of fancy electronics to malfunction. I have a near dead one with good electronics; needs a diode. I would give you $150 for the laser and send it to Sam for FAQ documentation and a repair attempt with little or no chance of success. Best wishes, Phil, 142laser
Laser Ben

Post by Laser Ben »

Hey Phil, would you be willing to take some pictures of the electronics boards on your? It's just the 4 screws to remove the black top cover. I would be interested to see if yours has the same electronics as mine.

Ben
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Hi Ben,
I can do that but yours is a prototype and mine a production model (that was actually owned by Pixar and used to make Toy Story!). So...I think the board is quite different. It can't huts to just take the cover off I suppose but I don't want to open the cavity space. Best
Laser Ben

Post by Laser Ben »

Hey Phil,

It is actually crazy hard to even get to the bolts to remove the cavity cover. You have to remove both boards, a few RF cables, remove the cavity from the housing, and then you have 10 bolts that aren't a standard metric or English size hex head. I am guessing the boards will be the same, but yours will have fewer jumper wires and modifications.