Fall Colors

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
Dutchelm05

Fall Colors

Post by Dutchelm05 »

My wife is taking me to New England to see the fall colors in full swing this year for my birthday.
Can you back easterner's suggest time and places?
We are going to New York City for a few days then head north and hope to find some good bed and breakfasts.
Any help would be appreciated.
Peace,
Tony
Joe Farina

Fall Colors

Post by Joe Farina »

Being a born and raised Hoosier, let me put in a plug for Brown County, Indiana, famous for its fall colors. Not only that, you can visit Fourth Dimension Holographics while you're there. Why not make it a combination fall colors/holography trip? :wink:
Dutchelm05

Fall Colors

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Thanks for the suggestion Joe, part of the deal for this trip was for my wife to have a great dinner and a show in New York City which we both enjoyed last time we were there, a small price to pay.
The years I stopped doing DCG holographry every time I saw the intense color change of trees it reminds me DCG colors, vibrant with green, red and oranges.
Thanks again my firend.
Tony
favalora

Fall Colors

Post by favalora »

Hi there -

I live in the Boston area. For the last 5 years or so, I recall that the best leaf-peeping is around October 13. There's actually a fairly short window.

This year has been much warmer than others, so I don't know how this will affect things.

I imagine that a drive along Route 2 (or I-90??) would be a nice thing to do; or a drive up around Vermont. If you like contemporary art (i.e. "hey! that solid blue square really speaks to me!"), as I do, then Mass MoCA and a cute/romantic inn called Porches are at one end of Rt 2 -- sort of -- and Boston at the other.

-g
Dutchelm05

Fall Colors

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Thanks fava,
One of the few times I've been to Boston was in September. It was beautiful.
I will look in to the place you reccommended.
Thanks again
Tony
ErichRose

Fall Colors

Post by ErichRose »

Living here in Austin, Texas for three years now, one of the few things I really miss about New York is the fall colors. We had a summer house up on the Shawangunk Mountain ridge. Our driveway was lined in maples and about mid October it was a tunnel of the most brilliant golden yellow. You don't need to go far north from NYC to hit some awesome scenery. Check out the Catskills and the Shawangunk Mountains. There is an incdredible old hotel up in the Shawangunks called Mohonk House. It's not cheap but it isn't like anything you have ever seen and the setting is spectaular. Google it up.

Best time is almost always the middle two weeks of October. But as mentioned weather patterns are all a bit different these days so maybe a week later or a week earlier. It often has more to do with moisture than temperature. Dry weather will start the trees changing as much as cold.

Have fun.
BobH

Fall Colors

Post by BobH »

You might want to contact John Perry at Holographics North in Burlington, Vermont for information about that area and a possible visit to his studio. I'll be visiting Vermont for the first time later this month for the Stellafane telescope maker's convention, but will miss the colors there.

I fondly remember biking around central and southern Indiana in the '70s. The "Hilly Hundred" and a "Covered Bridge Tour" in Brown County I think. Also when I was an L.E.O.T. student at Vincennes University in Vincennes, Indiana in '80. Being in California for the past 27 years really makes me miss the lightning bugs. :)