Old Friends

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
BobH

Old Friends

Post by BobH »

I just returned from delivering a demo to SID today. We got it working yesterday (some of you know the scene), packed it in the van, and I was on the road to LA this morning at 7:00. Got there at 1:00 and as I pulled into the parking garage I saw Kevin Rankin of Luminit unloading his car!

I first met Kevin when we both worked for Chris Outwater and Craig Newswanger at Advanced Dimensional Displays in 1988. Twenty freakin' years ago! :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :cry: :roll: :x :( :|
He was processing big holograms, and I was working on a method to copy full color Holodisk holograms. We were both shook lose when they sold ADD to Applied Holographics. Since then, I've bumped into Kevin at many SPIE and SID exhibitions, but this time the longevity of the casual relationship hit me. Kevin's a really nice guy, and so is his brother Rick who I saw for the first time since '88 a few months ago at Photonics West here in San Jose. Rick also worked at ADD.

In any case, on the flight home I was thinking about all those professional contacts made over my 29 years working with holography, the good times (I remember a few Lake Forest parties spilling way out into the parking lot), the conflicts ( :shock: :oops: :x :evil: :evil: :cry: :oops: ), but mostly the general pleasantness of those I've met through our mutual interest in holography. I just thought I'd make a comment on it, and urge anyone starting out to really enjoy your time with others who share your bliss. :wink:
JohnFP

Old Friends

Post by JohnFP »

That was cool Bob, thanks!

I was just contacted by a fellow holographer which I have known for 20+ years but hadn't talk to in over a year. It was great talking to him again. Our relationship was pretty intertwined the time we worked together. He's a great guy and I miss all the fun we had making holograms, researching new ideas and talking about all aspects of holography for hours on end.

It would be great to have more of the seasoned holographers post here. Even if they are not into holography anymore. :wink:
Danny Bee

Old Friends

Post by Danny Bee »

Bob what ever happen to Bill Hilliard? also i miss Jeff Murray what happend to him?
BobH

Old Friends

Post by BobH »

Last I saw Bill Hilliard was when I installed the show "Images in Time & Space" in LA, in '89. He was running the concession there. Jeff Murray was a member on this board, maybe still lurking about. His twins Hans and Nils, named after Hans Bjelkhagen and Nils Abramson, could be in their twenties now. Remember Patty Pink? :) :? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Danny Bee

Old Friends

Post by Danny Bee »

BobH wrote:Last I saw Bill Hilliard was when I installed the show "Images in Time & Space" in LA, in '89. He was running the concession there. Jeff Murray was a member on this board, maybe still lurking about. His twins Hans and Nils, named after Hans Bjelkhagen and Nils Abramson, could be in their twenties now. Remember Patty Pink? :) :? :roll: :roll: :roll:
what ever happen to her?... jeff was a very nice person. also i got the tape that bill made of "Images in Time & Space" maybe i should stream it on the forum
Danny Bee

Old Friends

Post by Danny Bee »

wow I found a photo of Jeff Image found on this link http://jeffmurray.com/other.htm cool, he is looking pretty Good :D
BobH

Old Friends

Post by BobH »

If you send me a copy, I can add details of the pieces that I have in my notes. I remember seeing you there with a tape recorder. Do you still have the tape? It would be good to see someone post a nice presentation of that show on the web. In LA, all their holograms were on display.
Danny Bee

Old Friends

Post by Danny Bee »

yes bob i still have it... i will make it my next project to drop it to dvd and see if i can get some stlls out of it too
Danny Bee

Old Friends

Post by Danny Bee »

Bob I found it, it is recorded on vhs tape so i will make a divx or mp4 (for the net) and make a dvd copy of it :D