Outdoor Fireplace

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
JohnFP

Outdoor Fireplace

Post by JohnFP »

Having bricklaying in my heart, I just had to build something else out of brick (Remember I built the brick bar-b-q). We have a large family party every Easter and this Easter came a little early and it was a little cool. So we build a fire on the patio in one of those circular fire pit thingys. Well the wind kept changing direction, in which is usually does if your close to a building, and it was funny seeing everyone play musical places trying to avoid the smoke. So I thought, why not build an outdoor fireplace. So it began. Tearing up a small portion of the patio, digging the footer, pouring the foundation, adding block to just below grade, pouring the slab and finally starting to build my first ever fireplace. I'm pretty good with brick, but never actually built a fireplace. Of course I did gobs of research before starting. The trickies part was building the throat, the part that closes the hole to the size of the flue pipe.

Well, I'm about 90% done, and hopefully when it's completed and I get the patio back in order, I will have time to get in the lab.

It's always something isn't it?

Just wanted to chat, Peace!

Edited/Added: Oh, if anyone is interested in seeing it, I can post some photo's when it's done. I have actually taken photos of various stages.
Dutchelm05

Outdoor Fireplace

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Hey John, would love to see photo's.
Been contenplating a pizza oven in my yard for a while.
The dome part looked a bit complicated
Some fresh tomoatoes off the vine and fresh basil, cheese, sauce and dough, awesome :)
JohnFP

Outdoor Fireplace

Post by JohnFP »

Actually, I have built an authentic wood burning dome pizza oven for my aunt. It's not to bad. You get the whole interrior dome part as a kit. It comes in 4 quarter pieces plus the bottom and put together with fire clay mortar. We then bricked around it.

Here are the photo's of my outdoor fireplace. I finished it up last night but still need to put the patio together around it. One thing I don't like it the rain cap. I think I will have to find a larger piece of stone such that it overhangs the chimney. Plus my wifey put plants all over it before the mortar was actaully fully cured on the chimney. I like it but I think it's a little too much...lol. I wish it wasn't raining today, I could finish up the patio and walk way (yes, that's one of the places I stole brick from) and actually get back into the lab soon. Enjoy!

http://www.holograms3d.com/OtherStuffID ... uffido.htm
Dutchelm05

Outdoor Fireplace

Post by Dutchelm05 »

John, really an excellent piece of work, your yard is beuatiful man. And we saw you new toy as well (the jeep).
May I ask who you went through regarding the pizza oven kit?
Thanks and have a great weekend!
JohnFP

Outdoor Fireplace

Post by JohnFP »

TY!
We know peeps in Italy. I will find out for you and shoot you and e-mail.

LOL, that's my old Jeep and poor thing is being used as a pickup truck right now. The new one (actually it is older then my old jeep but in fantastic condition), I dont even want to get muddy yet. HeHe.
Justin W

Outdoor Fireplace

Post by Justin W »

Quality!

Very nice work, John. I didn't even know one could do that with bricks (the dome part).

Impressive craftsmanship, top to bottom.

And agreed: that's a beautiful yard. Looks like a pleasant and serene spot. Any water features? (you know you want it) :wink:
Danny Bee

Outdoor Fireplace

Post by Danny Bee »

Nice job John :D what kind of bricks was used to line the inside the fireplace?
JohnFP

Outdoor Fireplace

Post by JohnFP »

Any water features?
Well, we do have a stream running through our yard. This is the bridge I built. It does not show the stream too well though.

http://www.holograms3d.com/OtherStuffID ... G_3928.jpg
JohnFP

Outdoor Fireplace

Post by JohnFP »

And if you love Olives like we do, scroll down to Olive section LOL!

Danny Bee

Outdoor Fireplace

Post by Danny Bee »

JohnFP wrote:And if you love Olives like we do, scroll down to Olive section LOL!

love olives .... john what kind of tree is this Image would love to get this for my yard