An interesting picture from our Russian Friends!

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

fig3.jpg
fig3.jpg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
From what I understand this is from a Japanese company and the images are made by focusing a IR laser to a point and Ionising the air in each point. I was unable to figure out what company.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

From this old Engadget article the group is Japan's National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/08/japa ... projector/
http://www.aist.go.jp/aist_e/latest_res ... 60210.html
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

This technology must be accompanied by lots of ozone production! That would restrict it to outdoor use.
BobH

Post by BobH »

The pictures don't show the beam dump or the mega laser and scanning system being used. Wouldn't want to wave your hand in that image! :o :shock: :|
favalora

Post by favalora »

The laser display was an impressive thing to see. It was at SIGGRAPH a year or two ago. Also, the researchers gave an update this January at SPIE SD&A - they have upgraded to more voxels/image.

g
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

favalora wrote:The laser display was an impressive thing to see. It was at SIGGRAPH a year or two ago. Also, the researchers gave an update this January at SPIE SD&A - they have upgraded to more voxels/image.

g
did you also hear it ? i remember years ago seeing and hearing a laser atimoising the air, and i distinkly remember hearing that zap! zap! sound
favalora

Post by favalora »

Yeah, it sounded like a lot of popping. However, I think they've made a lot of progress in the last two years; I saw a movie of their recent unit and suspect it is a lot quieter.

g