Osram to launch new blue laser diode (50mW @450nm)

Have a great holography link? Post it here so we can all use it.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

I wonder what the price will be?
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

It will have to be dirt cheap if they are really (as they claim) going after the microprojector market and competing with LED systems
which will be in the low hundreds for all 3 colors WITH DLP (mirror array) and electronics.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Osram describes the beam as single mode and gausian. No word on whether it is elliptical. The are listing metrology as an aplication which requires long coherence length.

PL T4 NSB

Technical Data
Output power: 50 mW
Peak wavelength: 450 nm
Threshold current: 30 mA
Operating current: 80 mA
Operating voltage: 5.5 V
Package Type: TO38 I cut
Height: 3.2 mm

Industry
The high beam quality and reliability
makes the blue laser perfectly suitable
for many industrial applications like:
• Industrial projection
Metrology
• Graphic Arts
• Medical
• Biotechnology
wler

Post by wler »

They write single transverse mode and give a spectral width of 2nm. That means small coherence length, similar to blue ray's.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

wler wrote:They write single transverse mode and give a spectral width of 2nm. That means small coherence length, similar to blue ray's.
Since they list metrology I wonder if the 2nm bandwidth is the spec without temperature control. Perhpas there are non-interferometric methods of metrology?
DJ Mathson

Post by DJ Mathson »

They are also listing holography as an application! Colin, the beam divergence is elliptical.
wler

Post by wler »

Well yes I have seen them mentioning metrology and holography as applications. But with 2nm spectral width that won't be possible I guess. Perhaps they mean using them in an ECDL configuration with much reduced power (I am going to investigate blue ray diodes in this respect soon, these should be similar).
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I look foward to your results. 405nm is not very useful to me but 450nm really would be. I think once the 405nm lasers are making holograms it will mark the end of the embossed security pretense.
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Colin Kaminski wrote:I look foward to your results. 405nm is not very useful to me but 450nm really would be. I think once the 405nm lasers are making holograms it will mark the end of the embossed security pretense.
Hey there,

Its not a pretense. I make security holos and they do work. I've had mine counterfeited a few times already and they have been spotted on the first day they were out. When I was making transit passes for Poland the sales went up in those cities 20 to 40 percent as the fakes were no longer good enough to get you in.

Same thing happened with my holo's on medicine in South America.

Diode lasers have nothing to do with anything. If your counterfeiting millions of dollars worth of stuff a month who cares about the cost of the laser.

I just made a 9 layer full color 2d-3d. No one in the world including me can remake that hologram and have it look the same. When Secret Service guys go around to spot counterfeit money all they bring with them is a loupe. Visual id works.

Jeffrey Weil
NorthBeach Holography Inc.