Holografic shells

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
manalokos

Holografic shells

Post by manalokos »

Hello all,

Here are my latest holograms.

I used a mirror to make denysuks with light coming from below,the object placed over the plate, plate was over 3 long screws.

Used mold coated DCG plates with Amdi 3:14:100
10 minutes exposure.

Got some strong overmodulation as the objects were quite bright.
It should be interesting to use smoked glass as plate medium. =)

Still have to clean the excess epoxy!
seashell1.jpg
seashell1.jpg (204.36 KiB) Viewed 8739 times
seashell2.jpg
seashell2.jpg (169.98 KiB) Viewed 8739 times
And here some small videos:

Best regards
Filipe
Joe Farina

Holografic shells

Post by Joe Farina »

Really nice, congratulations.
DJ Mathson

Holografic shells

Post by DJ Mathson »

Very nice!
dave battin

Holografic shells

Post by dave battin »

Nice work Filipe! nice and clear, what are you you using as your developer ?
manalokos

Holografic shells

Post by manalokos »

Thanks guys!

Yo Dave, I'm using a mix of Ilford rapid fixer (ammonium thiosulphate)
and Aluminum sulfate solution. I don't know if it actually does anything,
at least removes well the yellow tint of Amdi from the plate!

The plates are still slightly milky, but much better than the last ones (the emulsion was too thick).

Best regards
Filipe
Dutchelm05

Holografic shells

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Nice job Filipe,
Keep on shooting :angel:
holo_cyware

Holografic shells

Post by holo_cyware »

I'm feeling like another DCG guru just started the ascension. Keep up.
manalokos

Holografic shells

Post by manalokos »

Thanks again guys,

Here is another hologram that I made yesterday, after 2 failed attempts
to make a big one of a Ganesha statue I decided to go risky and used some neodymium magnets
to hold a plate agains a L shaped piece of iron that I put over a old typewriter's keyboard
and pray that there would be no movement, I waited 30mins and shot with 15m. exposure time.

The result was a bit dim as the plate was bigger than usual and the keyboard was dark except for the metal parts.

Here are 2 point of view:
t1.jpg
t1.jpg (136.11 KiB) Viewed 8625 times
t2.jpg
t2.jpg (136.8 KiB) Viewed 8625 times
and a small video:
~

Still have to clean up the excess epoxy, it is a very tricky business this sealing procedure,
it is very important to have and excess of epoxy or bubbles will form on the edges and sometimes expand to the
interior, my epoxy is crappy so it says liquid for some days inside the sandwich... :)

Best regards
Filipe
dave battin

Holografic shells

Post by dave battin »

manalokos wrote:Still have to clean up the excess epoxy, it is a very tricky business this sealing procedure
it is very important to have and excess of epoxy or bubbles will form on the edges and sometimes expand to the
interior, my epoxy is crappy so it says liquid for some days inside the sandwich...
nice work Filipe !to speed the epoxy's cure time you can heat it slightly, and there is an ammount of shrinkage the epoxy does when it cures, by putting spring clamps will stop the creep of the bubbles....
Joe Farina

Holografic shells

Post by Joe Farina »

Nice narrowband DCG hologram, reconstruction is good and sharp in the deep areas. Ordinary epoxy is not a good choice for everyday sealing of DCG, I would get some UV adhesive that's used for repairing glass. This should be available at a local hardware store, or is easily available online. With UV adhesive, a few drops can be applied in the center, the plates pressed together, and if bubbles appear they can often be squeezed out. The sandwich can be quickly cured in sunlight or under a blacklight.