New hologram - feel the burn!

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

[quote:105199b7cc]It would seem that they subconsciously preferred to believe that I had gouged out a cavity in the wall behind the frame and set up a diorama with some ridiculous objects within [/quote:105199b7cc]
We've talked about excessive holographic realism before - what I call "hammer holograms" after a comment made several years ago by Andy Pepper ("Why would someone hang a hologram of a hammer on their wall when they wouldn't hang a real one "), but your comment above brought to mind a couple of things:
When these holograms of cute *(porcelain) animals were first seen in the early 80's in England, I got a lot of comments about these poor cute animals "trapped" inside the glass.
More recently I happened to be talking to my banker while showing a hologram of a pair of porcelain bears when his secretary walked in. The hologram had the bears looking out of the plate with the image plane on their ears (so that the tip of the nose was about 1/2 in in front of the plate). I was also explaining, both to Joy and the banker, that I felt that when people see something too real or the image of something familiar they dont see dimension, they merely recognise an image (unless there are other visual cues, like shadows). To demonstrate this, I asked the secretary, who'd just walked in, to "touch" the nose of the bear. As her finger approached the nose, she gave a sudden start and went, "Oh, it's sort of hanging out here!"
Shumin Lin ( A holographic artist from New York) made a pulse hologram of faces pressed against the plate looking out. He then placed this plate on the floor so it looked as if there were people under the floor with their faces pressed against the underside of a glass floor looking up. Apparently women wearing skirts felt uncomfortable walking on the glass floor because they felt that there were men looking up their skirts.
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

Dinesh wrote:
IShumin Lin ( A holographic artist from New York) made a pulse hologram of faces pressed against the plate looking out. He then placed this plate on the floor so it looked as if there were people under the floor with their faces pressed against the underside of a glass floor looking up. Apparently women wearing skirts felt uncomfortable walking on the glass floor because they felt that there were men looking up their skirts.
I like this! Assuming that it was a multi-floor gallery, it would have been cool, on the level immediately beneath the floor-mounted gawker holo , to have a ceiling mounted naughty upskirt holo. Beyond my technique at the moment, alas.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »