Abstract light forms

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
MichaelH

Abstract light forms

Post by MichaelH »

I've been playing around with more abstract holograms a bit this week and have been very pleased with the effects I've been able to get by playing with different materials.

http://www.dragonseye.com/holography/2004_08.html#aug4

Colin Kaminski

Abstract light forms

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Can you share any of your methods?
MichaelH

Abstract light forms

Post by MichaelH »

I've thought about it and I could share explicit methods but that would not only take away some of the magic but also take away the fun of experimentation for people who would be interested in doing this.

None of what I've done is original, I'm sure. I was just playing around with various materials that reflect and refract light and finding ways to insert them into the setup such that they created "pretty" (in quotes because that's highly subjective) patterns on the white card I had in the plate holder.

One tip that I do have which I don't recall reading anywhere else is to invert the beam ratios for transmissions. Instead of 4:1 (ref:obj) play with ratios of 1:1, 1:2 and higher for the object light. For abstract stuff noise can often contribute in a positive way and you'll end up with more dazzling (if that's what you want, I did) results.
Bruce

Abstract light forms

Post by Bruce »

Cool, Michael!

B.
Bruce

Abstract light forms

Post by Bruce »

Many moons ago I shot some holos of calcite crystals that I had lying around the house and got some interesting effects. Also these crystals split the beam according to their atomic lattice structure. Kinda do it yourself crystallography.

B.
JohnFP

Abstract light forms

Post by JohnFP »

I like it....A lot!!!