The future of PCG...

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
Colin Kaminski

The future of PCG...

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Having talked with Micheal he and I seem to think that the name PCG is pretty much useless. I have given up on the whole model. I would like to see video confrencing to half a dozen local gatherings and have a networked meeting. That way we can meet from both sides of the pond.

I think Kaveh is the best person to make this happen. Perhaps John and Michael can persuade him into working on this. I will be willing to provide any help I can. The idea of seeing 6 or so local hobbiests get together is not worth the time of setting up a large event. We really need to see 50 holographers sharing ideas.

An ideal site would have video confrencing with lectures and a chat room.

What does everyone think?
BobH

The future of PCG...

Post by BobH »

I agree. I always thought the name to be disparaging (sp?) to those making holograms, even as a hobby. And unlike amateur astronomers who can gather at dark sky sites for a star party, each working their own telescopes but all sharing the individual activity together, holographers cannot move their equipment to a common place and do their thing together. Gathering at one of our labs doesn't quite work. Too many different working paces, too tedious and linear of an activity to have more than two working on a single project, too little space in our typical labs. The owner of the lab will always end up doing all the work.

The best venue I've seen for holographers to share their enthusiasm is a party! :shock: :) Especially a party at a lab, where we can do our "show & tell" thing with laser lit transmission holograms, as well as their white light cousins. I think the model of conference, with presentations at a podium, is a bit pompous and too academic to be fun. :roll:
JohnFP

The future of PCG...

Post by JohnFP »

I think video conference it a great idea and it will prove we are with the times. Having quite a bit of experience with computers, networking etc... I would love to take on any challenge of this nature, just let me know what the overall game plan is and I can formulate some possible solutions.
Colin Kaminski

The future of PCG...

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I would like to see groups of local holographers all having a video link to each other. I think there could easily be two groups in Europe and three groups in th US all with a live video link. This would allow a meeting of local groups as well as a global link.

I have removed the pcg links from the pages with the hope it will inspire a new organization. Any suggestions for names?