PCG

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
JohnFP

PCG

Post by JohnFP »

I can't help but feel the PCG section should be placed back here. I believe it is a little hard to find if you are like me and do not visit the first index page of this forum. Also it is inconvenient to go to to a second site and maintain a second logon with password. I feel that since it moved off of this site, the participation and enthusiasm has gone considerably down. I have not seen anyone post there in quite a while.

So I am putting in a vote to bring it back here.

Any other thoughts or comments?

For those of you that do not know what the PCG (Porcelain Cat Group) is, it is a group of holographers that try to get together yearly to share topic subject and make some hologram together and was founded by members of this forum.

John
MichaelH

PCG

Post by MichaelH »

John,

What you've described is the biggest reason I resist when people bring up the idea of opening another forum or portal for holography. The community just isn't big enough to be spread all over.

Rather than see it's online presence die I was more than happy to host the PCG but I agree, there's likely to be more traffic if the PCG forums are here.

If there's a way to link the two so that people can use this forum as a transparent link to the PCG (IE, to the outside user it looks like they're both part of the same forum) but the bandwidth comes from my server I'd be quite happy to keep hosting. I don't know of a way to do that but maybe some more phpbb and php-savvy people can think of one.
Last edited by MichaelH on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnFP

PCG

Post by JohnFP »

Is it bandwidth or server space that is the problem? I was never clear why it was moved.

I do want to take this time to thank you for your generosity in hosting the PCG forum and my main thought is now I think it is time to try to get more forum members involved and pumped up for the next one.
Colin Kaminski

PCG

Post by Colin Kaminski »

The bandwidth has never been an issue. I thought Michael would be a better leader for this portion of our holography presence as I was letting it fall apart. I would gladly move it back here if Michael or someone else would agree to be the organizer of PCG.

Kaveh has done such a good job with the Wales event I think we probably should figure out how to merge with their event.
MichaelH

PCG

Post by MichaelH »

Colin Kaminski wrote:The bandwidth has never been an issue. I thought Michael would be a better leader for this portion of our holography presence as I was letting it fall apart. I would gladly move it back here if Michael or someone else would agree to be the organizer of PCG.
I've got some ideas that have I want to pass by the group but it doesn't look like anyone is going to the other forum.

If there would be some way to seamlessly link the two, that would be ideal. Provide visibility into either, no matter where a visitor starts. Anyone think of a way to do that?

One thing I'd like to try to do is move the next meeting closer to the time-frame of the first meeting, in April. Is there any month of the year that doesn't contain some holiday, school event or some other gathering that the majority can't get out of?
Colin Kaminski wrote:Kaveh has done such a good job with the Wales event I think we probably should figure out how to merge with their event.

Is that possible? Is the big-time willing to rub shoulders with the little guys? It hasn't seemed that way in the past except in casual settings.
Colin Kaminski

PCG

Post by Colin Kaminski »

We can add the forum here and make a sticky on the top that links to your pages of history and information. Not ideal but it would be the easiest way.

I do think Kaveh invisions a greater involvement on this side of the pond.
dave battin

PCG

Post by dave battin »

MichaelH wrote: Is that possible? Is the big-time willing to rub shoulders with the little guys? It hasn't seemed that way in the past except in casual settings.

as of the meeting in Wales, the forum will receive recognition for its contribution ..........time will tell
Last edited by dave battin on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnFP

PCG

Post by JohnFP »

While I think the best is to have another section in addition to Holography and Lippmann Photogaphy, a sticky up next to the Wiki link would be better then having the only link on the opening index page. The only thing I don't like, and I think this is part of what Michael is asking, is having to do the second logon to post there. The only way I can see any potential in elliminating that is to somehow pass credentials across the internet. I am not sure if the forums support this or if it would have to come from the servers.

I would surely be more then happy to dedicate time to the maintainance of the PCG forum section second to Michael's feedback on the subject.
MichaelH

PCG

Post by MichaelH »

JohnFP wrote:... is having to do the second logon to post there.

Does the auto-logon not work for you? I don't remember the last time I had to logon to post. That should work in either forum.

At the time the posts were transferred, so were the passwords (in unreadable form) so you should have been able to logon to both forums using the same username and password.
JohnFP

PCG

Post by JohnFP »

I have made it a habbit never to use autologon for any service. The password is stored on the local machine when you use autologon. I realize it is usually encrypted but anyone that has access to that machine and fires up a service in which you have autologon enabled is also automatically logged on.