Equation Editing

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
Colin Kaminski

Equation Editing

Post by Colin Kaminski »

While reading Ed's article I realized we needed to be able to add equations. I bought an equation editor. If you need to add an equation to the wiki simply type it in as 2*sin(theta) and I'll follow along and convert them to real equations.
Kaveh

Equation Editing

Post by Kaveh »

When entering HoloWiki text, I notice there is a math icon, and it says enter in Latex, which would be great, but when I do that according to instructions, I just get the raw text showing. I have looked at other wikis, and it seems to work correctly.
Colin Kaminski

Equation Editing

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Kaveh wrote:When entering HoloWiki text, I notice there is a math icon, and it says enter in Latex, which would be great, but when I do that according to instructions, I just get the raw text showing. I have looked at other wikis, and it seems to work correctly.

Yes, Latex support is part of this package vut I need to convice my ISP to add a couple of programs to our server. I am still working on it. The short term solution is to have me enter them. It takes me about 15 minutes per equation so that is not a big deal.

I'll keep working on getting Latex installed.
Kaveh

Equation Editing

Post by Kaveh »

Colin Kaminski wrote:
Kaveh wrote:When entering HoloWiki text, I notice there is a math icon, and it says enter in Latex, which would be great, but when I do that according to instructions, I just get the raw text showing. I have looked at other wikis, and it seems to work correctly.
Yes, Latex support is part of this package vut I need to convice my ISP to add a couple of programs to our server. I am still working on it. The short term solution is to have me enter them. It takes me about 15 minutes per equation so that is not a big deal.

I'll keep working on getting Latex installed.

Thanks. That will be really useful, at least for me, having built a business around Latex. ;-)

In any case I will be using mathematics very sparingly but there will be times when there'll be a lot of maths in one article.
Colin Kaminski

Equation Editing

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Kaveh wrote:In any case I will be using mathematics very sparingly but there will be times when there'll be a lot of maths in one article.

I can hardly wait! :wink:
Kaveh

Equation Editing

Post by Kaveh »

Colin Kaminski wrote:
Kaveh wrote:In any case I will be using mathematics very sparingly but there will be times when there'll be a lot of maths in one article.
I can hardly wait! :wink:

:-)

You might have to wait a while for the maths! But from my perspective the beauty is that I can take the files I have already written to produce math in PDF, and transfer all the math directly.
Colin Kaminski

Equation Editing

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I have been making gifs of math equations for Ed. It takes me about 10 minutes to make one and get it in the article but I think it is working out well. If you want to submit any equations to me in any format I can re-render them into a transperent gif.
Kaveh

Equation Editing

Post by Kaveh »

Colin Kaminski wrote:I have been making gifs of math equations for Ed. It takes me about 10 minutes to make one and get it in the article but I think it is working out well. If you want to submit any equations to me in any format I can re-render them into a transperent gif.

Thanks Colin. Actually, if we can't use LaTeX directly, my colleagues have a filter that can push them out automatically. That will save time and I won't feel guilty about how many equations I am putting in.